90 Ls400 Idle Problem

thebaum

Ive had a 90 ls400 for about 6 months now. A few months ago it started needing a jump to start. After a week or so of that it would die after I jumped it if I didnt keep the rpms up. I have researched all of the place and keep hearing about the IAC valve. On autozone it says the valve is $1000 and located on the front of the engine. In a lot of forums i keep reading it is around $80 and located under the PS pump. Can someone please steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

The Idle Air Control Valve is on the front of the engine and is not cheap( ie. try cleaning it first). The Idle up valve that controls power steering feel at different speeds is under the PS pump and is about $80. When it falls it causes your engine to burn PS fluid and therfore causing excessive white smoke on startup. Your problem sounds more like a failing alternator than a IACV probelm. Have your alternator checked. Is there any PS fluid leaking onto the alternator? If so it might be your o-ring seals on the PS pump. Post back with more info. BTW Welcome to the club I've been here for about six months and have found this place to be an invalueable resource.

Thanks for your help. My first thought actually was the alternator. I cant get it tested as is because the car wont run so I was trying to avoid taking it out to get it tested unless I had to, ya know the least amount of work as possible!! I figured that if it was the alternator it wouldnt run at all with a dead battery (which is what is in the car, well at least one with no charge). Is that not true? The reason I bring up the idle valves is that is what I came across a TON on different forums for idle problems. If anyone can confirm that this is most likely the alternator I will pursue that. thanks again

This is the problem I'm having out of my 92 LS400. At first the problem seemed to go away with by replacing a bad battery, but it came back days later. The alternator was ruled out as a problem area. I don't have white smoke on startup, ruling out the PS leak problem, but the car simply either refuses to idle or will idle at 300-400 rpm, then die out after a few minutes.

As for the idle air control valve everyone keeps talking about, I have no idea where that is and the picture guides people keep sending me are either for the wrong car or just don't point to anything.