Loud Clanking Sound In Steering

Hi everyone...help.

I have an 06 RX400h. I just had the 35k check up/service at my Lexus dealership and now when I am parking or turning out of a parking spot, I hear a loud,sharp,

clanking sound as I turn the steering wheel. It just started happening. It's only when I am inching and slowly moving,never when I drive. The dealer did a recall fix (free of course) for a steering issue that apparently the RX hybrids have during this 35K checkup and now it's making this loud noise. I thought that I might run this by you smart folk before I go to the dealer. Has this happened to any of you? Do any of you know what this might be? Thanks, Rey

I have a strong feeling that they didn't do something (related to the steering, of course) correctly. I will be taking our RX in, soon and will probably have them perform the recall work. Needless-to-say, my ears will be tuned, afterward!

Dave

Rey, I too have an appointment for the recall matter. I will note any odd sounds as I drive home and head back if I hear same. Sounds like the dealer messed up.

Tom

Wow, I guess all of us are having to have this recall thing done so maybe someone else might experience the same thing. It seems as if the problem has subsided but then, I did hear a little of it tonight as I pulled out of a curb parking spot. Lets keep each other posted. Rey

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed. It was a little thing and they gave me a nice ES350 to use and fixed the loud clanking sound. Easy fix apparently and my car is perfect once again. It might just be in my head but I really feel that this car is driving better at 35K miles than it has ever. I also like that I found all of the little rattles that were bothering me. That helped a lot in my driving pleasure. Let us know if any of you get that loud clanking sound after they do the recall work. Rey

I had my recall repair this week and it seems to me that the steering feels a bit more precise. Any similar observations from others?

Tom

Yes Tom,

I do think that the steering feels better but then even after they fixed that loud clanking sound, I had always had a little of that sound when I would turn sharply out of a parking spot so I am just happy that that's gone. But it is really smooth.

Anyway, let me tell you about an insident a few weeks ago...I had someone bang my hood with a laundry cart as I waited for a lunch order, very irritating and I watched the whole thing...anyway... I am now driving a 2008 Ford Edge rental. It's pretty interesting. The Edge feels so much better on curves and the wide stance and lower design makes it look nicer than my 400h but it doesn't feel as nice at all in many other ways. It simply doesnt feel as elegant and the interior looks like a toy. The onboard info has me getting about

16-18MPGs this week which is not good. The transmission is Ok but now I can really feel the gear shifts as opposed to our CVT. The one thing that I felt sad about was that the Edge is quieter than my 400h on the freeway! But overwall, there is little that the Edge can offer me. The 400h is just an amzing car overall.....It'll be nice to get my car back and take back this Ford...as OK as it is, it's not a LEXUS! Rey

• 2 months later...

Update and getting this post closer to the one that someone just posted about the same or simliar problem.....Four months later and all is well. I don't remember what the dealer said this was, the sounds during sow driving such as in and out of parking spotds...but it was annoying but it was seemingly a simple fix. Rey

Ironically I was one of the first aware of the recall and had it done right away (Jan.). I just received the notice to have it done from Lexus today. Go figure. I hope they're more prompt on critical matters.