Auto Headligfht Question

Mera

I've given my 98 LS400 to my girlfriend as I have just bought a 2006 MB S500 4matic. Miss that Lexus. What a great car it still is. I always used the auto headlight option. At night I always turned the knob to off then switched it to auto again. That shut off the timed off headlights. Is there a way to make that do it without having to turn the switch?

Rodney

post-65558-1235347982_thumb.jpg

I've given my 98 LS400 to my girlfriend as I have just bought a 2006 MB S500 4matic. Miss that Lexus. What a great car it still is. I always used the auto headlight option. At night I always turned the knob to off then switched it to auto again. That shut off the timed off headlights. Is there a way to make that do it without having to turn the switch?

Rodney

On the later modles, douple clicking the "panic" button on the key would turn off the headlights also.

At night I always turned the knob to off then switched it to auto again. That shut off the timed off headlights. Is there a way to make that do it without having to turn the switch?

Why would you want to do that? Why don't you just leave the switch in the auto setting and let them turn off automatically? I've rarely felt the need to turn the headlights off manually.

The "Light Off Delay" can be set to 30, 60 or 90 seconds by the dealer or by anyone with the appropriate handheld tester and program card.

I tend to think it is not good for the battery.

Rodney

OK, I guess the Toyota/Lexus engineers didn't realize that. By the way, do you use the feature on your Mercedes that allows you to turn only the left or right side parking lights on? They are engineered so they can be left on all night.

There is a 4th setting of the "Light Off Delay" that I didn't mentioned. The dealer can program the LPS setting to turn off your headlights immediately after the car is turned off and when the drivers door is opened -- it will work just like a Toyota Camry. The default setting is 30 seconds. If it is 60 or 90 seconds then it has been previously customized.

If you don't like the standard 15 second interior light delay, it can be reduced 7.5 seconds. I had mine customized to keep the interior lights on the maximum time - 30 seconds.