Es 350 Trailer Hitch-photos

vrfeli

I'm planning on installing a trailer hitch on my Lexus ES 350, Are there any members that would like to show their ES 350 with a trailer hitch after installation??,, I'm wondering on how much the receiving hitch would it extend past the bumper cover and also how low from the ground would it be.

Thanks,VF

I see that this is your post so I will tell you that many people on this forum have expressed the opinion that a Lexus should be used to tow a trailer. I doubt if you will find many, if any at all, on this forum with a hitch on their ES350.

I have a Draw-Tite brand receiver hitch on my 2000 LS400 ... bought it from etrailer. etrailer has one made by Curt for the ES350: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Lexus_ES350.htm Draw-tite also makes a hitch for the ES350 but I don't see it on the etrailer website ... Here it is on the Draw-tite website: http://www.draw-tite.com/

The two hitches would likely look about the same on your car. Offhand, it looks like the receiver on the Curt might not hang down as low as the Draw-Tite but I don't know if that can be ascertained from the photos.

I mainly use my hitch to carry a bike rack but my car is all wired up to tow my utility trailer. I think my trailer wiring harness is from Modulite. The wiring harness attaches to wires leading to the taillight assemblies on my LS ... the power wire exists the trunk through a hole an ABS wire already passes through and it runs under the car to a terminal next to the battery in the engine compartment.

I doubt if a hitch for the ES350 would look much different than the one on my 00 LS -- photo is attached.

post-2157-1235255582_thumb.jpg

I see that this is your post so I will tell you that many people on this forum have expressed the opinion that a Lexus should be used to tow a trailer. I doubt if you will find many, if any at all, on this forum with a hitch on their ES350.

I have a Draw-Tite brand receiver hitch on my 2000 LS400 ... bought it from etrailer. etrailer has one made by Curt for the ES350: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Lexus_ES350.htm Draw-tite also makes a hitch for the ES350 but I don't see it on the etrailer website ... Here it is on the Draw-tite website: http://www.draw-tite.com/

The two hitches would likely look about the same on your car. Offhand, it looks like the receiver on the Curt might not hang down as low as the Draw-Tite but I don't know if that can be ascertained from the photos.

I mainly use my hitch to carry a bike rack but my car is all wired up to tow my utility trailer. I think my trailer wiring harness is from Modulite. The wiring harness attaches to wires leading to the taillight assemblies on my LS ... the power wire exists the trunk through a hole an ABS wire already passes through and it runs under the car to a terminal next to the battery in the engine compartment.

I doubt if a hitch for the ES350 would look much different than the one on my 00 LS -- photo is attached.

2-22-09---Thanks for the photo, I intend to use it for bike rack also..Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on what the hitch is used for. If I had a need to use the ES to haul bikes...I'd have a hitch put on. I'm planning to put a hitch on the Prius for a bike rack this summer, we're planning to do some biking.

On the trunk racks ruin the paint...I'd rather have a hitch.

I wouldn't tow a boat with the ES, but a bike rack or a little utility trailer like Jim mentioned would be fine.

I have a Curt 12343 receiver on my ES350. I'm very pleased with it.

The bottom is at the same height as the bottom of the exhaust pipe tips. The rear extends out about 3 inches beyond the ends of the exhaust pipe tips.

The factory finish is a high-gloss black that looks sharp, stands up well to the elements, and is easy to wash. It does come with a rather conspicuous manufacturer's label, but that's easily covered up with black electrical tape.

The receiver is Class 2 rated (3500#). I haven't yet used it at that loading, but I routinely haul a utility trailer with about a 1000# gross load, and I hardly notice it on the back of the car.

Mounting the receiver is very simple, using the same bolt holes that normally hold the shipping tie-downs.

Highly recommended!

As for you folks who are offended by the idea of a trailer on a Lexus: get over it. A Lexus is just a car. True, it comes with some nice creature comforts, but at the end of the day, if it can't move what you need to move, what good is it?

I'll be happy to post a photo if someone can explain how to do it.

• 4 months later...
I have a Curt 12343 receiver on my ES350. I'm very pleased with it.

kanu,

I very much appreciate your comments regarding attaching a Curt receiver to your ES350. I'm considering doing the same to my '07 ES350 in order to attach a hitch that can hold two mountain bikes.

How has it worked out for you?

One of my prime concerns is how it will look after I've installed it. Can you try posting your picture again?

Where did you buy it from? I see that HitchSource.com is offering it for about $160 with free shipping.

Thanks,

jjo

Since Kanu hasn't been on the forum since March, I'll post this link to an etrailer page which shows the same hitch on a late model Toyota Camry: http://www.etrailer.com/p-12343.htm?vehicleid=20099135

Do a "mouse over" on the "product image", etc. and to see the photos of the hitch on the Camry and all the hitch parts. Watch the video of the installation on a 2009 Toyota Camry. I doubt if it would look much different on your ES. Although most hitches can be seen from the rear, they aren't very noticable.

If you find the manufacturers label offensive, you may be able to peel it off -- or at least the label on the DrawTite hitch on my LS easily peeled off. If the label is painted on, it could be covered with black spray enamel paint.