Replaced Ls460l Shocks At 65k?

First off, love this site, tons of great info on our great cars, thanks to everyone here.

I have a '07 LS460L that I use as a private chauffeured vehicle and love it. I replaced the s430 and s500 I used to drive and glad I made the change.

My LS has 65,000(yeah drove it off the truck with 8 miles on it in May of 07) on it and there was a thud noise coming from the rearend so I took it in to my dealer. Got the phone call 2 hours later, "Your rear shocks are toast and need to be re-placed." I say to myself OK, no problem, go ahead and do it how much could it be right??? Well the service guys says, "3K!!!! for two shocks!!!!"

After I get up off the floor I think, wow, I haven't done the brakes on this car yet and the shocks are gone????? Dealer gives me the usual blah blah blah about its out of warranty and you have to talk to Lexus corp, no sweat, I know the drill. Finally haggle with Lexus Corp for 3 days and they agree to pay for the parts and I pay for installation. I figured that's a square deal, seems how the shocks are about $2200 alone.

Did the fuel rail campaign as well as the Nav update too. Got a free detail and a fresh tank of gas too!!!!!

Got it back yesterday, feels show room new, thanks KM Lexus

just curious if anyone else has had problems with their rear shock yet either???

Are these air struts or regular shocks? $3k seems a lot to pay for just shocks. Were there any other symptoms like low ride height or excessively nautical ride motions?

Completely absurd! My dad's 98 had air struts which are much more prone to failure and it was fine at 170k. My ES is at 120k, struts are fine...

Are these air struts or regular shocks? $3k seems a lot to pay for just shocks. Were there any other symptoms like low ride height or excessively nautical ride motions?

I got the car with the upgraded air ride suspension

no other symptoms, just started hearing a thud and it would kind of "flatten out" instead of floating through corners, I drove it a few days before i took it in