Front Suspension

phiranger119

I have a 96 ls400 and have a question on some popping noises coming from my front-end. Can anyone tell me why I might be having a popping noise from the front suspension when going over speed bumps at low speeds (udner 10MPH) or potholes? Major or minor repair? Any info would be of great thanks.

Hi Welcome to the LOC,

Please try searching the forum as there is loads of info on the LS400 suspension issues, seeing as you are a new member and we are nice and friendly on here I have pasted a link to start you off.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...spension+noises

Cheers.

I have a 96 ls400 and have a question on some popping noises coming from my front-end. Can anyone tell me why I might be having a popping noise from the front suspension when going over speed bumps at low speeds (udner 10MPH) or potholes? Major or minor repair? Any info would be of great thanks.

From what I can determine, the strut bars (that go toward the front of the car) is a common culprit, although it did not fix my problem. Someone here says they fixed their popping-over-bumps problem by replacing the upper strut mounts (what you see when you open the hood). Good luck.

From what I can determine, the strut bars (that go toward the front of the car) is a common culprit, although it did not fix my problem. Someone here says they fixed their popping-over-bumps problem by replacing the upper strut mounts (what you see when you open the hood). Good luck.

Yup, that was me. Upper strut mounts did fix my problem.

However, my problem was not "popping" over small bumps, it was crunching when going over large dips where the shocks would be compressed most of the way (lots of force on the upper strut mounts, I guess).

If your strut rods are bad, you should notice a lot of vibration when at highway speeds, and gentle (but fast) up and down bobbing motions at low speeds. (At least that's how it was for me.)

I hope this helps. Let me know what you find out!