Alternator Going Out?

Grash850

Hi I have a "94 ES300 with 160K miles. For the pass two weeks my car dies when I'm driving. When I try and start her back up the battery is dead all I hear is clicking. I've had the car jump off and it runs fine after that, for a few days its like the alternator takes a break for a few mins. I'm thinking its my alternator going out can someone help?

• 3 months later...
Hi I have a "94 ES300 with 160K miles. For the pass two weeks my car dies when I'm driving. When I try and start her back up the battery is dead all I hear is clicking. I've had the car jump off and it runs fine after that, for a few days its like the alternator takes a break for a few mins. I'm thinking its my alternator going out can someone help?

My 97 Es300 with 120,000 miles has developed a high pitched (whining sound) when the transmission is on Drive or reverse. No noise at Park or Neutral. It is only heard when the car is warmed up by driving it for a few mins. The noise stops when the car is parked.

My mechanic took the belt off and didn't hear the noise. The belts were replaced last year by dealer.

The alternator charges fine according to mechanic and I have no flicking of lights.

He suggested to leave it alone as long as i don;t make long trips. But, if I'm making a long trip, I should consider replacing it.

However, recently i drove to Dc area (500 miles round trip) without any problem.

I have a toyota corolla with 170k miles and original alternator.

any idea if it could be the alternator or power steering pump? I do have a leak in my PS pump.

I don't want to replace a Denso alternator if it does not need to.

A rebuilt alternator is $150 and $100 labor (includes mechanics diagnosing time - I guess)

any thoughts?

If it is NOT the alternator it is a strange problem. Just about any parts place will check it for free so it is an easy problem to diagnose.