2002 Es 300 Ignition Failure

My wife's ES 300 has experienced, with more frequency lately, the ignition locking when she tries to start the car. She puts the key in and it will not turn. You then come back two hours later (or sometimes not for 2 days or more) and it will start right up. Lexus has told me that I need the entire ignition unit replaced, which they estimate at $1,000 ($500 of which is labor). I had previously complained to them about this, but they couldn't figure it out. I was hoping to have another mechanic do the work, but now I hear that it has to be done by Lexus because they have to download software for the key. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I remember my 02 ES and I had to move the steering wheel like a half inch and then turn the key. Did you try that?

I also remember some members in the IS forum posting similar problems in the early model IS300's.

steviej

I did try that repeatedly - sometimes it worked and others not. But it's been happening with much more frequency lately.