Boring Es300 Tail Lights Thinking Of Smoking Out Or Doing A Strip,need

pete rock

hi everyone i have a simple opinion question.i really am bored with my taillights on my 93 es300 my car is black on black so i was thinking of spraying them with some nite shade lens paint to smoke and darken them a bit i think itll look good since my car is all black but then i had an idea to just spray the ugly middle lens on our tails that have the orange shade to it.but leave the clear back up lens alone.so what do you guys think?smoke them all out??or just the strip??all opinions are welcome just want to get a feel for other peoples opinions.thanxx

i enclosed a pic i edited with just the strip done i dont think i can get it that dark but you get the idea.

post-87290-1234222268_thumb.jpg

Pete Rock,

Personally, I wouldn't change the colour of your tail lights. If you change the amber colour of the turn signals, and during some signaled turn in the future you get clobbered in the rear by some one who claims you didn't signal the turn, and the police see that you've painted/darkened the lenses, you'll be the one charged with an offence. They were coloured amber to attract the attention of drivers following. Looking cool doesn't make it safe.

your right and i always want to be safe i would not darken them as dark as the pic i showed.just put a black tint to it so it looks diffrent and not so boring.but i agree with the safety part and thank you for being concerned and stating your opinion

Pete,

You are most welcome! There is nothing classier than a black car that is cleaned and polished to perfection. One of my own toys is a 90 Nissan 300ZX that is black on black, and is a pleasure to drive when she's all cleaned up. Personally I keep all of my cars (a couple of antiques in there) as stock as possible. It sure makes them much easier to move at resale time. Then again, at 59, I'm pretty close to joining "the over the hill gang". Cheers!

i just think a simple yet tasteful spraying would look great and also make them look a thousand times better.i hate the orange lens and i dont really like the baking method to clear it out it doesnt look that great.

Yep, I think "tasteful" should always be a prerequisite when doing mods on an ES. And I agree with you that going thru the hassle of baking the tails to remove the orange lenses doesn't always produce a great result, and can also be risky i.e. warped or leaky taillights afterwards. :(

I did a simple but (IMHO) tasteful mod to my front grille. Not everyone likes chrome but I do, and I think my custom chrome grille compliments the other chrome trim and the chrome colored emblems on the car. It all depends on what you like. :)

i like the chrome grille on your black es300.simple mods are always the ebst anything that is too much just look cheap and crappy.ive also seen the chrome trim for the side mirrors i already ordered all gold emblems for my car so itll look like the gold package trim.

Pete Rock,

My wife's first ES had the gold package and it deteriorated pretty quickly. That gold plating is very thin on the emblems. Maybe I polished the car too much or cleaned it too frequently. I do know that the standard chrome emblems on her other ES's stood up far better. I'm not trying to spoil your idea here, but just give you a heads up on leaving the emblems alone as much as possible, so that you don't wear the finish off. Good Luck!

thanx gb for the heads up i will definitely be keeping my chrome emblems handy if that does happen or if i just want to switch back.i bought 3 gold emblems for 10 bucks i got a sweet deal so im not breaking the bank and if i still like the look and they wear down ill try to find another good deal for gold ones thank you again for the info