Help With Rx300

mrchinky714

You should probably pick up a new intake gasket. Part # 17176-62030 You could just unhook the intake and swing it around out of the way to get to the injectors.... the worst thing is the 14mm bolt on the back side of the air plenum support bracket. It is real tight and a 1/4 drive is about all your going to be able to get into that spot....This is a picture of the plenum air intake. The red cirlcel shows the bolt that is a pain to get. This is on a highlander which has a lot of room, not like our car.....The bolt is on the picture with the Green circle and a very faint red circle to the left which is near the firewall.

post-12820-1234556870_thumb.jpg

post-12820-1234556905_thumb.jpg

You should probably pick up a new intake gasket. Part # 17176-62030 You could just unhook the intake and swing it around out of the way to get to the injectors.... the worst thing is the 14mm bolt on the back side of the air plenum support bracket. It is real tight and a 1/4 drive is about all your going to be able to get into that spot....This is a picture of the plenum air intake. The red cirlcel shows the bolt that is a pain to get. This is on a highlander which has a lot of room, not like our car.....The bolt is on the picture with the Green circle and a very faint red circle to the left which is near the firewall.

awesome! haha i was like whoa.. you took alot out of the engine. Dang, how come the highlander has so much more access? is the engine bay larger than the RX300?

just an update. i Bought 2 days subscription from techinfo.toyota.com this gives me all access to manuals and instructions for toyota's and lexus. In the instructions it says to replace the O rings for the fuel injectors does anyone happen to know the parts number for these o rings? also the gasket for the IACV part number would be appreciated since i'll do IACV cleaning and spark plugs while the intake will be off tomorrow. Any other thing i should replace right now as well since i will be taking so many things off the car?

just an update. i Bought 2 days subscription from techinfo.toyota.com this gives me all access to manuals and instructions for toyota's and lexus. In the instructions it says to replace the O rings for the fuel injectors does anyone happen to know the parts number for these o rings? also the gasket for the IACV part number would be appreciated since i'll do IACV cleaning and spark plugs while the intake will be off tomorrow. Any other thing i should replace right now as well since i will be taking so many things off the car?

I don't know how many of these guys replace the gasket when they clean or replace the IACV but when I 1st cleaned the IACV and then replaced it, I didn't replace the gasket either time because I didn't have one and it looked in like new shape. I took the chance on it and that was 30k mi. ago and never has been a trace of a leak. As I have said many times before, Toyota uses some very high quality parts and the rubber was live on the gasket and it looked like new at 97k mi. so it's still on duty with 0 problems. Do remember if you're going to replace the spark plugs DO NOT attempt to gap them. They should be gapped correctly and are not supposed to be gapped! I trust you got the Denso or NGK Iridium plugs. http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_U_1999_LEXU...10L-AWPGKA.html Go to Engine/fuel and then click on fuel injection and you should have your injector parts.

I don't know how many of these guys replace the gasket when they clean or replace the IACV but when I 1st cleaned the IACV and then replaced it, I didn't replace the gasket either time because I didn't have one and it looked in like new shape. I took the chance on it and that was 30k mi. ago and never has been a trace of a leak. As I have said many times before, Toyota uses some very high quality parts and the rubber was live on the gasket and it looked like new at 97k mi. so it's still on duty with 0 problems. Do remember if you're going to replace the spark plugs DO NOT attempt to gap them. They should be gapped correctly and are not supposed to be gapped! I trust you got the Denso or NGK Iridium plugs. http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_U_1999_LEXU...10L-AWPGKA.html Go to Engine/fuel and then click on fuel injection and you should have your injector parts.

yeah i picked up the NGK iridium IX series. They were 7.32/each at autozone so it wasn't that bad. I wonder why the Iridiums on my accord cost more at 12.99 a piece?

yeah i picked up the NGK iridium IX series. They were 7.32/each at autozone so it wasn't that bad. I wonder why the Iridiums on my accord cost more at 12.99 a piece?

Are you absolutely certain that you got the right plugs? I just found the paper where I located the plugs I got for my DIL's RX and they were $8.05 ea and that was absolutely the best price I found anywhere, online or otherwise. That was 33 months ago but that plug shows as currently listing for $23+ ea. I can't imagine Autozone selling that plug for that kind of money.

IX is a performance series plug from NGK that will work fine in the RX. The thing to remember is that it is a 30,000 mile plug not the 120,000 mile NGK IFR6A11 or Denso SK20R11 that comes in the RX and is recommended in the owners manual.

From the Denso website: "many newer Lexus’ and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications" The Denso Iridium Power Plug is the equivalent of the NGK IX plug.

Being that it is such a pain to change the RX plugs, I would use nothing but the NGKs or Densos recommended in the owner’s manual. The NGKs should be next to impossible to find being that NGK obseleted the IFR6A11 with no direct replacement. My RX came with the Densos and they looked new when I pulled them at 125K. I replaced them with the same.

man... oh man the job was seriously a pain. I figure this would take a total of 8 hours maybe less if i do it again. I followed lexmex's instruction and decided to leave the two bolts under the throttle body off. Yeah the ix series works for the RX300 but like mikey said they're not the factory oem. They didn't have the laser iridium's available which was 8.99 so i went with the only ngk iridium's they had at autozone. This job is not for the feint of heart and those with no patience. At certain parts i almost decided to give up and call a tow truck and bring it to an auto repair to have the rest done; but i stuck through it and with some help from my little brother the job was done. I bought some reconditioned fuel injectors from pepboys. Decided to replace all 6 while i was at it. I also cleaned the IACV and now idle seems alot smoother.