1991 Ls400 Cell Phone

mkehl

Car: 1991 LS400 with Nakamichi stereo and built in celly

Hello all,

I know this has been done to death, but i can't really find what I'm looking for by searching. I removed the factory phone from the center console, leaving only the telephone/rj45 style jack in place. Basically, I'm looking for a wiring diagram that shows what each of these pins on this connector does. My ultimate goal is to locate a Bluetooth kit out of sight in the console; hooking the audio out, stereo mute, power, and (dreaming here) the answer/end buttons on the steering wheel into the bluetooth kit and running it through the factory stereo.

If it's been done before, it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction, if not, I promise a detailed write-up after/if I get it working :) Thanks in advance for your help.

mkehl, I had the same idea of using the steering wheel phone command module to control my aftermarket phone kit when I bought my 00 LS used back in 2003. I even bought a new -- and not inexpensive -- steering wheel phone command module for the project. I thought it was going to be fairly easy since there were already a number of interface kits available from the European company Connects2 to connect the Nokia phone kit I have to steering wheel controls and even trip computer displays on a variety of cars sold in Europe.

But ... I had no success figuring out to make to pins on the steering wheel phone control do anything with my Nokia phone kit. I'm not saying it can't be done but that it might take some sound electrical engineering skills.

You might want to take a look at the Connects2 website since they currently have interface kits to connect Parrot Bluetooth kits to the steering wheel controls for a few Toyota vehicles sold in Europe: http://www.connects2.com/c2prodoverview.aspx Be aware that there can be big differences between the electrical systems of Toyota/Lexus vehicles sold in different world markets.

By the way, the Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth kit that "Bill H" installed in his 97 LS has for the past several years been sold as an official dealer installed accessory by UK and European Lexus and Toyota dealers. Here is an example of the option as offered on the IS in the U.K.: http://www.lexus.co.uk/range/is/accessories/interior.aspx

I don't think there is a mute connection under the armrest on the 90-92 LS400 like there is for sure on the 95-00 LS400 and there might be with the 93-94 LS400 which was the first year of the optional Lexus portable phone. It wouldn't hurt to check. You can likely find a mute connection in the trunk or on the radio head unit or amp. The wire color of the mute wire is not consistent through the model years ... the closest audio diagram I have to your car is for a 94 LS400 with standard audio system. I'll attach it but you car's audio system could be different. You might ask your Lexus dealer to print the audio system diagram for your car -- my Lexus dealer did that for me for my 00 LS400.

Hacking into a door speaker to play the phone call doesn't buy you much. There is plenty of room under the dash to hide a phone kit speaker.

After reading the threads AzHotLS provided, feel free to ask questions. There are quite a number of people on this forum who have installed phone kits. Good luck!

1994_LS400_Pioneer_diagram.pdf

Thanks so much guys for all the info.

Yeah, i had seen the links that AzHotLS had sent.

And while that is a sweet install of the motorolla unit, I've just always had a fetish for invisible installations of aftermarket accessories, and figured if the car has a microphone and controls already factory installed on the steering wheel it would be nice to use them--even it makes it 10 times more difficult and they are probably of lesser quality. :)

90LS400 Lexus, if you're seriously interested in the phone let me know, u can have it for the cost of shipping (including all the console pieces)

I would love to find a old original Lexus phone for my LS400.... just for looks you know. Those old huge phones are neat. :D

Those huge old phones are also worthless and take up a lot of console space. Unless there are still a few small pockets of analog service somewhere in the U.S., these old Lexus phones will not do anything at all -- not even call 911.

Yeah, i had seen the links that AzHotLS had sent.

And while that is a sweet install of the motorolla unit, I've just always had a fetish for invisible installations of aftermarket accessories, and figured if the car has a microphone and controls already factory installed on the steering wheel it would be nice to use them--even it makes it 10 times more difficult and they are probably of lesser quality. :)

Well, whatever "floats your boat". I used to be the same way and even put the cradle for my portable Nokia phone in the center console of my previous 90 LS400 after its original fixed phone died in 1999.

The main reason to put the Bluetooth kit controls where you can easily see and reach them is SAFETY. Especially if the Bluetooth kit has an LCD display, you want it high on the dash to minimize the angle between looking at the road and looking at the LCD display -- Sorry Jainla, I still think your Parrot install is cool!

I suggest you research the features of various Bluetooth phone kits and look at the features of your current phone and other phones that are available. A big reason I didn't pursue using the Lexus phone command module on the steering wheels is that more modern phone kits and phones have features that make the steering wheel phone controls superfluous -- features like voice and speed dialing, auto answer, auto hangup.

I'd hate to see handsfree banned but there is currently discussion in some jurisdictions about banning the use of both handheld cell phones and handsfree phone devices by drivers. I definitely agree with the studies that have shown that handsfree is no safer than holding a handset to one's ear while driving.

The main reason to put the Bluetooth kit controls where you can easily see and reach them is SAFETY. Especially if the Bluetooth kit has an LCD display, you want it high on the dash to minimize the angle between looking at the road and looking at the LCD display -- Sorry Jainla, I still think your Parrot install is cool!
I completely agree. If I had to do it all over again I'd pick one of the Parrot models with a separate remote control and mount it on the steering wheel; these days I hardly use the display at all (I keep the phone in the cup holder and whip it out to see who's calling). I'm still not sure where I'd put the display though; I like that it can be quickly hidden when I leave the car. Some models now read out the name of who's calling.
I suggest you research the features of various Bluetooth phone kits and look at the features of your current phone and other phones that are available. A big reason I didn't pursue using the Lexus phone command module on the steering wheels is that more modern phone kits and phones have features that make the steering wheel phone controls superfluous -- features like voice and speed dialing, auto answer, auto hangup.

Very true. The kits are always getting better and BT implementations seem to be more uniform. The latest Blackberry BT implementation (along with I'm sure Parrot firmware updates) solves all the issues I had when the kit first went in.

If you can find the wiring diagram you might be able to figure out where the leads for the controls go; unfortunately you'll probably have to splice into the wire behind the dash (if you can find it) as the termination point for most of those phone wires is most likely in the trunk somewhere. Also most Lexus phone systems have a single button for picking up and hanging up calls while most Bluetooth systems have 2 buttons. I don't remember techinfo having anything on the early LS phone installs but somewhere like alldatadiy might; or your library might have a Chilton manual for the LS.

2 of the Parrot kits (and a couple other makes) have RF remotes that can be mounted on or near the steering wheel. Bury also makes some cool touch screen models but I'm not sure who sells them here in the US. Another option is to pick up a Navigation system with the Bluetooth built in; some of those also come with remotes.

As for the original phones; I seem them periodically on ebay. This company called Cartel also makes a bluetooth car kit that looks like an original 80's/90's car phone. Very cool but not cheap.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/29/cartels...-the-car-phone/

I would love to find a old original Lexus phone for my LS400.... just for looks you know. Those old huge phones are neat. :D

Those huge old phones are also worthless and take up a lot of console space. Unless there are still a few small pockets of analog service somewhere in the U.S., these old Lexus phones will not do anything at all -- not even call 911.

I know, but my console is filled with nothing but trash anyway and I never use it. Good reason to clean it out. :D