Struts Vs. Shocks Vs. Strut Bars

amcdonal86

You can go to trademotion.com and see the exploded parts diagram for your year and model. Looks similar to my 1990 with shocks inside the coil springs and a strut bar. There are all sorts of parts to renew here, bumper, insulator, maybe even shock mount when changing shocks.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

This may or may not be technically correct but I think of it this way. The shock absorber is the hydraulic damping piston that sits pretty much vertical (in this case, inside the spring). Sometimes the term strut refers to the entire unit of the shock absorber and spring (and in this case the bumper and insulator). When you change shocks in this car you pull the whole thing out as a unit. This is different in my older Mercedes, where the front shocks sit along side the spring. The strut rods are a different part and lay sort of horizontal from the front wheel to the front cross member. Some year models, you can just change the bushing in the strut rod, making it less expensive. In my 1990, you have to buy 2 whole new units.

1990 LS400

1991 300E

2000 C280

This may or may not be technically correct but I think of it this way. The shock absorber is the hydraulic damping piston that sits pretty much vertical (in this case, inside the spring). Sometimes the term strut refers to the entire unit of the shock absorber and spring (and in this case the bumper and insulator). When you change shocks in this car you pull the whole thing out as a unit. This is different in my older Mercedes, where the front shocks sit along side the spring. The strut rods are a different part and lay sort of horizontal from the front wheel to the front cross member. Some year models, you can just change the bushing in the strut rod, making it less expensive. In my 1990, you have to buy 2 whole new units.

1990 LS400

1991 300E

2000 C280

Thanks for this info. I guess strut is really ambiguous--as I had suspected!

To see what a strut rod looks like go to the trademotion link above.

Enter your year and model, 1997 LS400.

Click "Front suspension", then the first "Suspension components", then "strut rod", then "View illustration". Part #12 is the strut rod.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

2000 MBZ C280