92 Lexus Ls400 Help Asap! I Think I Shorted My Car! Dash Light

havehopejosh

Im having a lot of trouble with my 92 lexus ls400 because of low funds =/ but anywho to skip to the problems...

I currently HAD major power steering leak and just replaced the whole pump and man was it a !Removed! to get out because of a stripped mounting bolt. So as i was replacing it...i had to disconnect a ground cable from the alternator in order to fit my wrench in the little space to work on and take off my mounting bolt. in doing so.... -_- my dumb !Removed! didnt disconnect the neg. cable from my battery and in return made accidental contact with another metal with the alternator cable i just took off and evidentally it made a bright blue spark and then smoked.... =[ great... so i then realized damn i think i *BLEEP*ed up baaaad. So i then disconnected the neg. battery cable and continued to work on my power steering pump. Replaced it. put everything back together....and decided to try it out to see if i stopped the leak.

I jump in my car...place the key in the ignition and started to turn the key. once it turned over no warning lights came on at all from the start up (usually every light on the dash comes on when you start the car and then turn off after 2 seconds just to run through the light systema nd warning system)

So basically there is not ONE light on at all in my dash, my power locks and power windows do not work at all, and my brake lights and all my tail lights are out.

I know its not the mysterious wire harness hinge in the back because i already took care of that problem. so.....im wondering because of that little accident i caused with the spark of the alternator ground cable...would that effect these components and what could i possibly do to solve this problem?? any suggestions at all??? please respond asap =[

thank you for your time....im a dumb !Removed! =[

-josh

So basically there is not ONE light on at all in my dash, my power locks and power windows do not work at all, and my brake lights and all my tail lights are out.
Sounds like the big 120A alternator fuse that is in the fuse box under the hood. Did you check it?

so you are saying that the car starts and runs fine but the warning lights on the dash are not working? is your dash working (speedo, tach, etc.) i have wiring diagrams for a 90LS that i can post if you need. first i would follow blake's advice and check all fuses because that's what they are there for. but if worse comes to worse then i can give you the pdf files for basically everything on a 1st gen LS.

I think Blake is right. I shorted out that big fuse when I was changing the ACV on the P/S pump a while back. Forgot to disconnect the battery. Had to walk 2 miles to the Toyota place for a new fuse. 14 bucks. Bought a back up car later-Costs money to be dense.

Thank you sooo much hmmm i checked the fuses but i did not check the huge fuses i thought i shorted the ground you guys are really helpful i shall check when i wake up tomorrow thank you soo much ill let you know what happens. and also i do not own a repair manual for the car and if anyone could explain how to bleed the brakes as well...much appreciated thank you once again =]

-Josh

thank you all for all the helpful tips it turns out it was my 120 amp fuse link for the alt. it was a hassle figuring out how to take the small bolts off on each side but figured it out in a mater of 15 minutes sooo now im gonna check out an autozone to replase the fuse link if not then the lexus dealer thank you once again =] cheeeers

• 3 weeks later...
if anyone could explain how to bleed the brakes as well...

If you haven't visited lexls.com yet, you're in for a treat. He has a tutorial for just that and others:

www.lexls.com

-- hey, how did you get to the other side of the huge fuse box set? I'm trying to pull this 120a fuse out. I have a 98' LS400 and I only removed the 10mm screw on one side close to the motor. I can't get to the other side off the fender wall. Is there a thread or pictures to where somone removed it successfully?

hey, how did you get to the other side of the huge fuse box set? I'm trying to pull this 120a fuse out. I have a 98' LS400 and I only removed the 10mm screw on one side close to the motor. I can't get to the other side off the fender wall. Is there a thread or pictures to where somone removed it successfully?
You've probably gotten the fuse removed already, but if not, here's how you do it: You remove the nut on one end of the fuse block, and there is a snap on the other end that you need to unclip (that was quite difficult to deal with on my car) which will release the fuse block. After you get the fuse block released, you can easily access the other side to remove the little bolt. I marked them in red in this photo....

post-1461-1232935734_thumb.jpg