So I Heard A Crack...

And I decided to stop trying to forcibly remove the housing containing the tail-light, blinker, and all those other bulbs from the car. The ominous orange icon that looks like I should expect fire to be expelled from the exhaust has been illuminated intermittently over the past week or so, and a quick looksie through the owner's manual out of the sake of curiosity said that it means I need to have a bulb replaced. Further investigation through the owner's manual lead me to the nugget of advice declaring that I should take the car to the dealer to service my bulb needs.

Yeah, right.

I went to autozone and bought the tail-light bulbs and returned home to do it myself. I soon came to realize that these bulbs are encased in what looks to be a fortress of glass and steel, neither of which I want to break, and one of which I doubt I could. I took off the caps near the opening of the trunk, unscrewed the screws entrenched beneath, and then began to poke and prod the light bulb housing, hoping that the solution to this problem would reveal itself. It didn't.

That's why I'm here, I need somebody to tell me how to replace these tail lights. Thanks.

:D

Love the post. Welcome to LOC!

I am not familiar with your specific model of Lex, but every reasonable car manufacturer makes their taillights accessible for changing the bulbs.

Going through the trunk, you should see little bundles of 2 or 3 wires attaching to what looks like a plug of sorts at the back of the light-housing. Those plugs generally will be a bayonet fitting and you should be able to twist them about a quarter turn and pull them out exposing the tasty bulb innards for your changing pleasure.

Remember, there are several different bulbs back there depending on the function...some of the bulbs will have multiple filaments and others just one.

Good luck!

:D

Love the post. Welcome to LOC!

I am not familiar with your specific model of Lex, but every reasonable car manufacturer makes their taillights accessible for changing the bulbs.

Going through the trunk, you should see little bundles of 2 or 3 wires attaching to what looks like a plug of sorts at the back of the light-housing. Those plugs generally will be a bayonet fitting and you should be able to twist them about a quarter turn and pull them out exposing the tasty bulb innards for your changing pleasure.

Remember, there are several different bulbs back there depending on the function...some of the bulbs will have multiple filaments and others just one.

Good luck!

on our specific model......its similiar to most BUT you actually CANNOT access the bulbs with the housings on....for some reason they desgined they so that had to be unscrewed and removed to access ANY bulbs so please stop yanking on the housings and trying to pry/pull them off as it sounds like the OP is doing. are you changing bulbs on the inner lights or outer tail lights? Outers are easier to do as they only have i think 4 10mm bolts holding them onto the car. dont forget about the 3rd brake light in the rear window....it will set off the bulb out indicator and if you have a oem spoiler with lights it will also.