Car Acting Up A Bit

G Alex

Hey there everyone. I have an 01 430 with 102k on the clock. I have had zero problems out of it. I had my front windshield tinted, just the strip at the top and a buddy did it. I was gone and trust him with my car for months not just hours.

Anyway, I started it up and the drivers side window worked fine. I cant roll down pass side window or back windows from drivers side/ If I go to the pass side or the back, they roll down fine. The mirrors are acting crazy too. They wont open up after leaving car and returning. I have them set to close up tight when exiting vehicle. My buddy jumped in the passenger side and when he closed the door, the car computer (dash) said pass door was ajar. He checked it, slammed it up and to no avail. It finally went off and yesterday the drivers side said the same thing and the door was def shut tight. I cannot operate the mirrors manually either and they dont tilt down when in reverse. I have a light that occasionally flashes, it is on the left of the steering column and has a car picture on it with a key in the middle of the car ? I cant find my manual so I am lost. Anyway, the car still runs perfect and no issues driveability wise but before I get bent at the dealer, I thought I would ask you folks if you had any ideas ? I did disconnect battery after it started acting up and left if off about 30 minutes but it didnt reset anything. I checked the fuses I THOUGHT could have been the culprit but as you know there are like 5 fuse boxes etc... and I am not that familiar with this car. For the record, no accidents or damage etc... and this just happened after the tint strip was done. The automatic dimmer for the rear mirror is still working and ac/heat all work. Oh, about a month ago, the steering wheel quit going all the way up upon exiting but now it works flawlessly ? I know it is probably a gremlin, aka wiring issue or solonoid etc but thought I would shoot it out there. Any help is seriously, GREATLY appreciated as the 08 yr was a long one for me too. Hope everyone has a great 09 Cheers Alex

Wow man...what a mess!

It sounds like one of your main electrical harness connectors has got some moisture/corrosion working on it. I would look for harnesses going through the firewall and checking the connectors at either side. Also, check the fuse boxes actually inside the car and not under the hood. Check for moisture or signs of corrosion.

I had a BMW 325is once that started having strange electrical problems, and I ended up finding a squirrel nest under the hood and they had been chewing my wiring. :lol:

Good luck!

Wow man...what a mess!

It sounds like one of your main electrical harness connectors has got some moisture/corrosion working on it. I would look for harnesses going through the firewall and checking the connectors at either side. Also, check the fuse boxes actually inside the car and not under the hood. Check for moisture or signs of corrosion.

I had a BMW 325is once that started having strange electrical problems, and I ended up finding a squirrel nest under the hood and they had been chewing my wiring. :lol:

Good luck!

You know, I kinda had on my mind moisture. My buddy tints for a living and I have seen the process done hundreds of times and there is a lot of water involved / The tint is saturated prior to being applied to the glass so that it is slick and moveable during installation. I dont know what to do other than eyeballing the harnesses, if I can find them...... :(

Sounds like the classic trunk hinge wiring harness, Do a search on this, There is tons of info on the problem.

I guess I am computer challenged but I searched this forum and all forums and didnt find anything specific enough. Can you lead me in the right direction ? I dont know where/how what to look for anywhere, except trunk maybe :P I would like to know more about it. Is it usually a tighten up the harness, and done or is it replace this check that etc...

Cheers, Alex

My left mirror wasn't opening up in the morning (opened up rest of day). Dealer told me that my battery was going, and that was why. You might want to check that, for a real simple fix. Dealer wanted $180 for a new Lexus battery, still debating that though, probably go Interstate for less, think made by same company. Good luck.

Adam

Hey there everyone. I have an 01 430 with 102k on the clock. I have had zero problems out of it. I had my front windshield tinted, just the strip at the top and a buddy did it. I was gone and trust him with my car for months not just hours.

Anyway, I started it up and the drivers side window worked fine. I cant roll down pass side window or back windows from drivers side/ If I go to the pass side or the back, they roll down fine. The mirrors are acting crazy too. They wont open up after leaving car and returning. I have them set to close up tight when exiting vehicle. My buddy jumped in the passenger side and when he closed the door, the car computer (dash) said pass door was ajar. He checked it, slammed it up and to no avail. It finally went off and yesterday the drivers side said the same thing and the door was def shut tight. I cannot operate the mirrors manually either and they dont tilt down when in reverse. I have a light that occasionally flashes, it is on the left of the steering column and has a car picture on it with a key in the middle of the car ? I cant find my manual so I am lost. Anyway, the car still runs perfect and no issues driveability wise but before I get bent at the dealer, I thought I would ask you folks if you had any ideas ? I did disconnect battery after it started acting up and left if off about 30 minutes but it didnt reset anything. I checked the fuses I THOUGHT could have been the culprit but as you know there are like 5 fuse boxes etc... and I am not that familiar with this car. For the record, no accidents or damage etc... and this just happened after the tint strip was done. The automatic dimmer for the rear mirror is still working and ac/heat all work. Oh, about a month ago, the steering wheel quit going all the way up upon exiting but now it works flawlessly ? I know it is probably a gremlin, aka wiring issue or solonoid etc but thought I would shoot it out there. Any help is seriously, GREATLY appreciated as the 08 yr was a long one for me too. Hope everyone has a great 09 Cheers Alex

Update:

I was suspicious that the dash had gotten pretty wet considering the tint is sopping when it is applied to the windshield. I drove it for a few days with the front defrost on solid. I kept the air flowing through there and after a day or so, everything went back to normal. Windows roll down fine, mirrors tilt and can be manually moved and the computer isnt "sensing" and open doors etc....

I love the cost for the fix but if anyone is getting windows tinted, please tell the tinter to take caution if applying a windshield strip, to make sure that they keep the dash dry with a few chamois or a towel or something. I guess that had to be it, 2 days and no issues at all.

Thanks for everyones input and thoughts. :)