Noise From Trunk

peteanello

We bought a new '09 ES350 about 2 weeks ago. When I accelerate (moderately) from a stop, I hear a thumping noise coming from the trunk/rear end. It's more noticeable when starting from a stop uphill and barely noticeable when starting and going downhill. It's as if there is something loose in the trunk and it only lasts a second and is fairly muted.

I checked the trunk....it's completely emply. All the equipment under the trunk cover seems secure.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

We bought a new '09 ES350 about 2 weeks ago. When I accelerate (moderately) from a stop, I hear a thumping noise coming from the trunk/rear end. It's more noticeable when starting from a stop uphill and barely noticeable when starting and going downhill. It's as if there is something loose in the trunk and it only lasts a second and is fairly muted.

I checked the trunk....it's completely emply. All the equipment under the trunk cover seems secure.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

Its called the 'clunk-in-the-trunk'. It appears to be the gas level measuring mechanism. It occurs when the tank is full but not at 3/4 or below. Do a search for more on this topic.

Don

Its called the 'clunk-in-the-trunk'. It appears to be the gas level measuring mechanism. It occurs when the tank is full but not at 3/4 or below. Do a search for more on this topic.

Don

Thanks Don,

You are exactly right. I had to drive a while to get it to 3/4 tank, but once there the "clunk in the trunk" went away.

I had the 1k service today, and the service writer knew nothing about this.

Pete