Do I Need To Replace Transmission Fluid?

Running Ox

I recently purchased my 2004 RX330 with 66600 miles, but have no idea what and when the previous ower did maintenance. From this forum, I know that regular transmission service is very important. So attched some pics, please help me to judge wheather I need to change it or not. Thanks!

post-83078-1230665909_thumb.jpg

post-83078-1230665972_thumb.jpg

The Rx330's aren't as prone to the tranny failure as the 99-03 Rx300's were.

Your fluid doesn't look that bad at all, what's to be expected at 66k miles. If you wanted you could do a simple drain and fill, NOT a flush.

If you research transmission fluid flushing, you'll find far more negatives than positives regarding whether or not to do it. Transmissions of all makes and flavors have been ruined over the years by flushing them. Don't do it....

I drain-and-fill my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD transmission every 30,000 miles. I believe that's a happy medium that will work for the majority of 2004 RX owners. Knowing what I know about weak and poorly-designed RX300 transmissions (we had a 2000 RX300 AWD that failed under warranty at 48,000 miles), changing that fluid myself is a small price to pay if it will allow us to keep the vehicle for 130,000 to 150,000 miles. Although I don't believe that Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid is any better than most other ATF fluids out there in the marketplace, I stick with it in case this 2004 unit fails and I have to do battle with Lexus again. My wife's 2004 RX is pushing 86,000 miles and the transmission has been problem-free other than the somewhat harsh shift points inherent in all of these RX transmissions....

Why take chances? Changing your ATF is grammar-school easy in this vehicle. Pick up 5 quarts of Toyota Type T-IV fluid at your nearest Toyota parts department and learn to do it yourself. You'll probably use 4.5 quarts total (some use a little more and some use a little less). There are descriptions all over the RX forum instructing you exactly how to do it. It's a 30-minute job with most of that time simply waiting for all of the old fluid to finally drain out of the transmission pan....

The Rx330's aren't as prone to the tranny failure as the 99-03 Rx300's were.

Your fluid doesn't look that bad at all, what's to be expected at 66k miles. If you wanted you could do a simple drain and fill, NOT a flush.

Essentially correct although its the 99/00's that were the main culprits tranny-wise and a few 01's that may have not received the re-designed transmissions. I'm not as afraid of transmission flushes as some others on the board but I do agree that the drain/fill is simple and a heck of alot cheaper. Not knowing the history of the trans fluid in your vehicle, if it were me, I'd change it so I could be sure of the history of the fluid.

I only don't suggest doing the flush since some have reported the flush loosens debris (that's been settled not bothering anyone...) and makes things worse.

The 04's and up don't have the tranny problem... I'd say do a drain and fill if it's bothering you and keep your eye on it- IF anything.

Most car's don't need the tranny fluid replaced at all.

Your fluid looks fine as it is, why touch it? Keep an eye on it, if it becomes darker than do a drain and fill. That's what i would do...