How Do You Set Up A Home Computer Network?

nc211

I got a Acer Netbook for christmas, and want to set up a network where it can access the files on my desktop. It's wireless, I have a wireless router (Linksys), and bought a USB Linksys wireless adapter for the desktop. They say it's easy, but damn if I haven't wasted the past 6 hours of my life trying to get it to work! I've got the wireless router set to WPA2 security. Acessing the internet with the wireless gadgets in the house isn't a problem (PSP, Wii, Netbook). But I can't seem to figure out how to make the Netbook and Desktop link up so they can see eachother's files. I want to transfer files from the desktop to the netbook, and also piggyback the desktop's cd drive to install software onto the netbook (it doesn't have a cd drive, or any drive for that matter).

Compuwertly challenged member of LOC--NC Duhm-e'-duhmb

Success!! I forgot to tell Norton to allow the netbook to have access to the machine. I've set the cdrom to "share", and i can see it on the netbook now! BUT, I'm worried the entire internet can see it too. The internet for the desktop is wired. The wireless part is the usb gadget that is suppossed to be communicating to the netbook only. Any suggestions on how I can check to make sure?

Buying the software program "Network Magic" will solve just about all of the network issues. It can encrypt your computers/router so that other computers cannot access your network even in a wireless "driveby" hijacking.

Setting up shared folders is also easier than with the XP networking procedure. The program is a slick method of perfecting a network.

BTW, consider getting rid of Norton. Avenquest's SystemSuite is much more useful and much less of a resource hog.