Replace Door Handle

rizkyk

First thing you need to do is get a new handle/used handle... try ebay, junk yards, or used parts dealers on forums... next thing you'll need to do is remove your interior door panels... you can probably find a DIY on this from anyone that has ever changed your speakers. After that you'll just need to take a peak and see how things are attached. It shouldn't prove too difficult just make sure you're doing this indoors. I recently changed the broken door handle on my 94 acura legend while it was 30degrees out... couldn't do the work with the gloves on... things got cold fast.

I live in Minneapolis MN and I know what your talking about last week I almost ripped my door handle off just trying to open my door, the door was frozen shut. Is this what happened to you? your door froze and you were pulling really hard. Just curious :D

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me haha. I live in Wisconsin, which isn't too far from MN, it's been a tough winter so far. What did you end up doing about your handle?

Its not so bad. I just removed my passenger door handle. It takes patience though.

You have to remove your door panel. Then there are two bolts that hold the outer handle in place. There is an access hole for one, not for the other. For the one without an access hole, use a box end wrench and you can easily reach the bolt via the large inner opening/cavity that is exposed once you remove the door panel.

Then, you've got a hard part. There are two rods connected to the handle. One to the handle itself, one to the lock cylinder. You have to remove both of those as well. You can do this either by pulling the rods out--they are attached via little plastic tabs. However, the tabs may break if you try to remove the rods. They tabs tend to get brittle.

Other option is to unbolt the lock cylinder from the handle, then you don't have to remove that tab--as the lock cylinder will separate from the handle and the tab is in the lock cylinder. There's an access hole for unbolting the lock cylinder. That still leaves the rod with tab that connects directly to the outer handle. With that one I'd just break the tab (what I did). Then you can just pull the handle straight out, pick up a new tab from the dealer for $2, and put the new tab on before reinstall. The tabs tend to get brittle and break over time anyways, so no harm in just breaking them off and using new ones. Thats what I did.

Good luck!

Its not so bad. I just removed my passenger door handle. It takes patience though.

You have to remove your door panel. Then there are two bolts that hold the outer handle in place. There is an access hole for one, not for the other. For the one without an access hole, use a box end wrench and you can easily reach the bolt via the large inner opening/cavity that is exposed once you remove the door panel.

Then, you've got a hard part. There are two rods connected to the handle. One to the handle itself, one to the lock cylinder. You have to remove both of those as well. You can do this either by pulling the rods out--they are attached via little plastic tabs. However, the tabs may break if you try to remove the rods. They tabs tend to get brittle.

Other option is to unbolt the lock cylinder from the handle, then you don't have to remove that tab--as the lock cylinder will separate from the handle and the tab is in the lock cylinder. There's an access hole for unbolting the lock cylinder. That still leaves the rod with tab that connects directly to the outer handle. With that one I'd just break the tab (what I did). Then you can just pull the handle straight out, pick up a new tab from the dealer for $2, and put the new tab on before reinstall. The tabs tend to get brittle and break over time anyways, so no harm in just breaking them off and using new ones. Thats what I did.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the information, do you know how long this process took so I can prepare myself and also what those tabs are exactly called so I can grab them from lexus before I start? I'm assuming it's easier just to break off the tabs then to unbolt the cylinder?

P.S. any chance you have pictures of any of this?

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures. I took me about 2 hours--but I work slow and carefully. I don't know the technical name for the little plastic tabs--some people call them window links, or door links.

I actually found some at Checker Auto that are the same size, but waaaayy cheaper than dealer--a multi-pack for $4 instead of $5 each. They were in the "help" section. Theres a company called "help" that makes hard to find parts.

Lemme know how it goes!