Buying In This Down Economy

ksLex

This may be a little early to get a complete picture, but.....

With the down economy and the doom and gloom coming from the auto industry what are people seeing out there as far as the general attitude of the Lexus dealers? Are there deals to be gotten? Are the dealers hungry? Are they even affected by the downturn, or is this whole mess bypassing the luxury/foreign auto dealers? Is this a good time to buy?

Who has tested the water??

With the down economy and the doom and gloom coming from the auto industry what are people seeing out there as far as the general attitude of the Lexus dealers? Are there deals to be gotten? Are the dealers hungry? Are they even affected by the downturn, or is this whole mess bypassing the luxury/foreign auto dealers? Is this a good time to buy?

I assume you are talking about new cars...I can't speak to that, but I can speak to used cars. This is a fantastic time to be buying! With poor sales right now and gas prices at a 5 year low, this is also a great time to nab a hybrid. The wife and I just picked up our CPO 2006 RX400h in the last two weeks or so and got what I consider to be "stupid-low" pricing on it.

I suspect you would be a popular guy indeed if you showed up as a serious buyer between Christmas and New Year!

I assume you are talking about new cars...I can't speak to that, but I can speak to used cars. This is a fantastic time to be buying! With poor sales right now and gas prices at a 5 year low, this is also a great time to nab a hybrid. The wife and I just picked up our CPO 2006 RX400h in the last two weeks or so and got what I consider to be "stupid-low" pricing on it.

I suspect you would be a popular guy indeed if you showed up as a serious buyer between Christmas and New Year!

Yes, I was thinking about the "new" market.

As for the Xmas-New Year time period, I would image you might have their complete attention being a serious buyer. Alas, my time table is more like Q1 2009.

It's a great time to name your price with ANY dealer. I did so last week at the local Jaguar dealership and picked up a 2005 S-Type with only 18,000 miles for $17,000, which was $5,000 less than they advertised after already dropping their prices from two weeks before. I researched the vehicle carefully, obtained its service history, and knew what details I could use to justify my low offer. I told the sales guy right up front that I was serious, that I wouldn't waste his time, that I would be writing a check for the full amount of my offer, and that I would make only one, best-and-final offer. He attempted to counter and get me to increase my offer but I refused. Within 15 minutes, I had my deal....

EVERY vehicle model has glitches and flaws. Do your research, learn what they are (or could be), and there's the ammunition you need to win your case. With this Jag, it's heavy on the front brake pads and rotors, and the ignition coil packs can sometimes go bad. I learned that from my research and hammered away on the sales guy. He quickly realized that I knew much more about the vehicle than he did, and his resistance level dropped accordingly. I got the only deal that was acceptable to me as a result....

No other customers were in the showroom for the initial three hours we were there to see, drive, and learn about the car. Their lead technician wasn't busy and spent almost an hour with me answering my questions about Jaguar reliability in general and the S-Type model specifically while my wife left to get some lunch. Desperation on the dealer's part during the slow days before Christmas certainly worked to my advantage, and since I've done this before, I knew that it would....

It's a great car, my wife drove it from North Carolina to Florida today to visit her elderly parents, and it handled the trip like the fantastic highway cruiser that it is. We couldn't be happier with the vehicle or the deal that I hammered out....

So if you need a car and are willing to do your homework, I haven't encountered a better time to go for the jugular than right now. Get out there and cut yourself a great deal....

No, we will keep the RX330. The Jaguar will take some of those RX miles, however, and hopefully help to make both vehicles last a long, long time as a result. We have three big dogs so we must keep an SUV in the family. Right now, that's the RX even though it is more of a crackerbox than an SUV. But believe me, I will put my foot down if and when my wife decides she's going to start hauling dogs in the Jaguar....

By the way, the Jag is a blast to drive and if I lean the seat all the way back, I can create enough headroom to be comfortable in the car for hours at a time. The seats are extremely supportive and are probably the best seats we've ever had in any of our vehicles....

Some say that Jaguar sold its soul to Ford and that this S-Type is really just a re-skinned Lincoln LS. I truly don't care - it's a great car and I got it for about what I would pay to get a same-year, low-mileage Honda Accord. Granted, the Jag will cost more to maintain and insure than an Accord would, but that's exactly why I'm spending so much time now researching the car to the Nth degree so I can properly maintain it myself after the factory warranty expires in mid-July 2009 and save significant money by doing so....

I think it is a buyers market. I have been shopping around for a new GS (as soon as i sell me es330). The two Lexus dealers I visited were very aggressive when I came in for a test drive. I would assume they need every sale they can get in todays market.... but who isn't hurting from this economy?

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a couple months ago a 2005 SC 430 in almost mint condition with only 17,000 miles on it for $30K from a Lexus dealer in my area. If buying from a dealer go into a dealer in the middle of the month and if you see something you like show intrest in the car but don't buy it then no matter what kind of "deal" they say they are giving you. When I first went in they were asking $39,900 for the car I wanted. I went home and did some internet searches on what the car was worth and the places I looked said the car was worth $38k-$41k so the dealer was in the right price range. But after going back a couple times they would only come down to $37.9k. And I knowing how bad the car industry is lately I said thank you but no thanks on that $37.9k and walked out. I waited till the end of the month and went back in on the last day of the month and got the car I wanted for $30k. Because they have to meet a quota and will drastically reduce price especially on used cars on the last day of the month to meet that quota.

I hope this can help someone.

I just bought a couple months ago a 2005 SC 430 in almost mint condition with only 17,000 miles on it for $30K from a Lexus dealer in my area. If buying from a dealer go into a dealer in the middle of the month and if you see something you like show intrest in the car but don't buy it then no matter what kind of "deal" they say they are giving you. When I first went in they were asking $39,900 for the car I wanted. I went home and did some internet searches on what the car was worth and the places I looked said the car was worth $38k-$41k so the dealer was in the right price range. But after going back a couple times they would only come down to $37.9k. And I knowing how bad the car industry is lately I said thank you but no thanks on that $37.9k and walked out. I waited till the end of the month and went back in on the last day of the month and got the car I wanted for $30k. Because they have to meet a quota and will drastically reduce price especially on used cars on the last day of the month to meet that quota.

I hope this can help someone.

That's awesome!