Nav Screen Resolution

You are stuck with the same graphics even though you upgrade the nav disc. The 2006 GS was the only year they used the gen4 system, which has a lower resolution screen and is unable of producing the crisp graphics on the gen5 systems.

You are stuck with the same graphics even though you upgrade the nav disc. The 2006 GS was the only year they used the gen4 system, which has a lower resolution screen and is unable of producing the crisp graphics on the gen5 systems.

I see. I have not searched the forum but do I dare ask if you can upgrade to gen 5?

• 2 months later...

I see. I have not searched the forum but do I dare ask if you can upgrade to gen 5?

My understanding is that the OS is build into the nav unit, so you'd have to replace the whole thing to get the new "black & blue" menu seen on the newer units. I also have an '06 with the 8.1 map disk (2008) and yes, I am stuck with the ugly res/menus. :(

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that the OS is build into the nav unit, so you'd have to replace the whole thing to get the new "black & blue" menu seen on the newer units. I also have an '06 with the 8.1 map disk (2008) and yes, I am stuck with the ugly res/menus. :(

That's correct - you'd have to replace the whole unit. It's a pretty expensive proposition - if I recall correctly, around $3,000 (though you may be able to get $1,500 for trading in your old system).

I had thought about it a year and a half ago and decided that the sharper resolution wasn't worth $1,500 to me. Of course, if I can get just the screen only for a couple of hundred bucks, I'd certainly be willing to open up the nav unit and replace the screen. I figure it shouldn't be much more than removing the old screen and replacing with a new one (assuming the connectors are the same).

It's hard to find 07+ GSs at junk yards to get the nav unit to tinker around with. If anyone knows where I can find one, I'd volunteer to open it up... :)