Worth Keeping?

LexRexBlue

My '99 RX300 has been a wonderful car, drives well, handles well, had been dependable. Somehow turning 10 a couple weeks ago has been a curse. As I've sunk about $2000 into it in December I wonder if this is the end of the line. Changed brakes, struts, front marker light, had belts and fluids replaced--then the cabin leaked water! Had the leak fixed, but the frozen water is affecting the radio. It is now occupying one of my garages and my 2008 IS is parked on the driveway. Now the check engine light came on. The car has about 91,000 miles. Opinions? Lexus replaced the transmission already.

Mine also is 10 years old....worst thing was the transmission at 100k miles, I am now at 158k miles.... Keep it, your registration is cheaper, hopefully no payments, and the $2000 is just an investment for future reliability and comfort. Hey everything wears and needs upkeep, but a good car is not worth trading to gain car payments, higher insurance, etc.

My '99 RX300 has been a wonderful car, drives well, handles well, had been dependable. Somehow turning 10 a couple weeks ago has been a curse. As I've sunk about $2000 into it in December I wonder if this is the end of the line. Changed brakes, struts, front marker light, had belts and fluids replaced--then the cabin leaked water! Had the leak fixed, but the frozen water is affecting the radio. It is now occupying one of my garages and my 2008 IS is parked on the driveway. Now the check engine light came on. The car has about 91,000 miles. Opinions? Lexus replaced the transmission already.

LRB- Get the codes read at Autozone or whoever does it for free in your area. Either go online and see what has set the light (if Autozone reads it they should give you a printout that gives you a very good idea of what the problem is) or come back here and one of us will help you with it. It could be something minor, after all 90% of all we worry about never comes to pass. Find what the problem is and then you're armed with knowledge, which is power! Good luck!

This is mostly routine maintenance. Doesn't say anything (at least not to me) about the longevity of the car.

Most of the things you're talking about are wear related, and to be expected on a 10 year old car. I'm going through the same thought process with my 00 RX and I think I've decided to keep it for another year or two.

The question I'm asking myself and what I'd ask you is, what will you get to replace it?

Ok the car will go in tomorrow to see what is wrong. Yes, it's paid for and most of the time it is an extra car. Most of the time I drive my 400h and we have a 2008 IS. Actually most of the time my greatest problem is managing to get enough miles on all 3 cars. The IS is a year old now and might have 5000 miles on it. We just had a big snowstorm and of course the old RX is always terrific in the snow.

Ok the car will go in tomorrow to see what is wrong. Yes, it's paid for and most of the time it is an extra car. Most of the time I drive my 400h and we have a 2008 IS. Actually most of the time my greatest problem is managing to get enough miles on all 3 cars. The IS is a year old now and might have 5000 miles on it. We just had a big snowstorm and of course the old RX is always terrific in the snow.

Well, now that you mention the 400h I can see why you're questioning the logic of keeping the 300. Seems like its just duplicating the capabilities having two similar vehicles. Realizing that I live in a much different climate, I keep the RX because its a really comfortable commuter and has a small modicum of utility (at least compared to our other cars), if I had a 400h I'd probably lose the 300 myself. I'm actually considering a newer RX but I'm liking the Audi Q7 and the new MDX so we'll have to see.

Oh, also, you may want to invest in a code reader, you can get them for less that $100 and even if you don't DIY its always good to know what the problem is before you take a car in, even under warranty.