Radio Security Problem.

Mile_High_Flyer

Hi all. Season's greetings to everyone.

My handicapped daughter didn't close the trunk properly on my 1999 LS400, right hand drive. It was down, but not locked into place, so the light was on for a couple of days, before I discovered it. This flattened the battery! There was power enough for the lights, and to pull starter solenoid in, but not enough to turn the motor over.

I recharged the battery overnight, and it started and ran fine, the next morning. However the "VSC Off" light was on, and the "Check VSC" warning was showing. It couldn't be turned off. A mechanic said to disconnect the battery, and see if that would reset the VSC. So I did, knowing I would lose fuel mileage and associated information, probably both trip meters, (I was wrong with that one) and the radio settings. The radio didn't worry me as I had instructions in the owner's manual, and had previously put in my own pin number.

However, the radio now won't do anything, it comes on to "SEC" immediately the ignition is turned to ACC. It appears it should actually be off, and blank. Because it's on SEC, I am unable to use the 1 and 6 and ON button, also unable to use the 1 and Tune buttons for resetting.

Any ideas how I can get the radio working again, or would I have to take it to a Lexus dealer?

Also, can anyone tell me what the "horn" in the engine compartment, just in front of the firewall, is for? Also if there is a way to increase the volume of the beeps when the remote control lock and unlock is used.

Many thanks

Keith.

I don't think the U.S. spec 1999 LS400 radio had a security feature -- my 2000 LS400 doesn't. I think the security feature for U.S. models was discontinued in 1994. I think a U.S. Lexus dealer charges $50-$100 to reset the radio security code. I'm surprised there is a problem if you were using your own security code. I wonder if it reverted to the previous code or the default code. For my previous 90 LS400, I think the default security code was listed in the owners manual.

The U.S. owners manual has a VSC reset procedure -- attached is the one from my 00 LS owners manual.

On U.S. models, there is a small knob under the dash on the drivers side to change the "beep" volume. I think the horn on the firewall is part of the alarm system but I've never been curious about it.

There are an amazing number of difference in Lexus versions sold in various countries. Does your LS400 have the rear seat audio and A/C control in the armrest but without the power rear seat like the Australian versions I've seen on the Internet?

post-2157-1229564182_thumb.jpg

I don't think the U.S. spec 1999 LS400 radio had a security feature -- my 2000 LS400 doesn't. I think the security feature for U.S. models was discontinued in 1994. I think a U.S. Lexus dealer charges $50-$100 to reset the radio security code. I'm surprised there is a problem if you were using your own security code. I wonder if it reverted to the previous code or the default code. For my previous 90 LS400, I think the default security code was listed in the owners manual.

The U.S. owners manual has a VSC reset procedure -- attached is the one from my 00 LS owners manual.

On U.S. models, there is a small knob under the dash on the drivers side to change the "beep" volume. I think the horn on the firewall is part of the alarm system but I've never been curious about it.

There are an amazing number of difference in Lexus versions sold in various countries. Does your LS400 have the rear seat audio and A/C control in the armrest but without the power rear seat like the Australian versions I've seen on the Internet?

Thanks for your reply.

According to the manual, it appears no security code is set by the factory, but you can put your own in. There wasn't one already, as we were able to put in our own without knowing of any previous code. I believe earlier models may have had factory codes.

Thanks for the VSC info. I'll remember that if it happens again.

The small knob under the dash turns the beep on and off, but doesn't change the volume, unfortunately. The firewall horn isn't part of the alarm. It uses the standard windtone horns behind the grille, for the alarm.

Yes, my '99 does have the rear seat audio and A/C control in the armrest, and also controls the power reclining rear seat and headrests. My 1989 has all the controls too, but also has vibrating massage, heated, and reclining rear seats. Plus it's own cassette tape player, and wireles remote control for the roof mounted, rear TV. And there are also RCA A/V inputs, and headphone output, with volume control. It also controls the front passenger seat, moving it forward, folding headrest forward and down, as shown on the control switch, and moving backrest right forward, so entry and exit is easier for the rear passenger. Actually, it's a Celsior LS400, which is basically the same car. In fact, it's the very first model, and one of the very first cars. Chassis number 1469! I don't know if they started numbering from 1 or 1000 or where, but it's still a very early one.

post-81796-1229571042_thumb.jpg

Yes, you are correct! I apologize. The little button under the dash only turns the wireless lock "beep" on and off. It looks like it takes a handheld tester to adjust the beep volume -- attached is a list of what can be changed - at least on the U.S. spec 98-00 LS400.

The 1990 LS400 I bought new and drove for 13 1/2 years has a gray cloth interior similar to your early Celsior -- the cloth still looked like new when I finally sold the car to a friend -- photos are in my gallery on this forum. Very few LS400s with cloth interiors were sold in the U.S. and leather was made standard for the 1992 model year. I loved the cloth interior -- particularly nice because it didn't have seat heaters. I'm not disliking the leather seats in the 00 LS as much as I thought I would -- but it has seat heaters.

As far as I've seen, only the RHD LS400s were equipped with the rear power seat, A/C and audio controls -- or at least I've never seen these features in a LHD LS400 while traveling in other LHD countries.

CBES.pdf