How To Change Spark Plugs Es300

jsinton

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and Lexus. My 2002 ES300 has 65,000 miles, so I figure it's time to change the plugs. Could somebody please point me to a post or a link to describe the little tricks I need to know to do that? Thanks in advance.

the front three are a piece of cake. take the 10mm nuts off the coil packs, uncover the plugs, remove with spark plug socket and extension.

the back three are a bietch. It helps to take the strut tower brace off, then use some 6" extensions and some knuckles to get at the coil packs and plugs.

Use a milk crate or something to give you some added height/lean over.

Good luck.

steviej

the front three are a piece of cake. take the 10mm nuts off the coil packs, uncover the plugs, remove with spark plug socket and extension.

the back three are a bietch. It helps to take the strut tower brace off, then use some 6" extensions and some knuckles to get at the coil packs and plugs.

Use a milk crate or something to give you some added height/lean over.

Good luck.

steviej

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a go. When is the specified replacement interval anyway?

Well, I pulled out the front bank of plugs, and you're right, they were like pristine. They were Denso Iridium plugs. Under the hood there is a sticker that says ONLY use iridium plugs, which I thought was interesting. So, I popped the old plugs back in... service done. Probably the plugs will outlast the rest of the car.

I pulled my plugs at 125k miles and they looked perfect. I did change them but used the same plug as a replacement (iridium Denso) Great plugs but yes the rear plugs are a real challenge even on the RX300...have a great day

• 3 months later...
I pulled my plugs at 125k miles and they looked perfect. I did change them but used the same plug as a replacement (iridium Denso) Great plugs but yes the rear plugs are a real challenge even on the RX300...have a great day

Hi Lenore.

My 03 ES300 is about 120K miles and the manual recommends to replace spark plugs at 120K miles.

You are right. The rear plugs are very challenge as compared to the front ones. Since you have already done the job can you give me some tips to remove the three rear plugs; like what parts I should remove and any special tools are needed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nghia

a three inch extension and 1/4 inch drive with adapter. If you are real brave remove the upper intake manifold..... I changed mine without removing the manifold, I would remove the air intake though to give better access. Also make sure you replace them with Denso or NGK iridium plugs....dont, DONT use Bosch.....