Daytime Running Lights Vs. Low Beams

Jify

So, I know 1st Gen(1991) headlights are bad, but I have reason to believe mine are EXTRA bad. I've seen the photo's of your silverstar ultras, and they look INFINITELY brighter then mine. I've gone through light after light after light, and they are ALL producing that very dim light amber glow.

I have a very simple question.

If you "turn on" your headlights, do they get brighter?

My parklights turn on, but my headlights (day time running) DO NOT GET BRIGHTER. My high-beams are very nice, but not safe for city driving.

After all this light changing, I still can't accept these lights are this bad.

I have a faulty relay... don't I?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply jcrome04!

Can anyone else confirm that for a 1st gen, DRL do NOT equal Low Beams.

Thanks again everyone!

DRL is never equal to low beams.

you didnt mention exactly what year you had, the 89-92 are known to be worse than average. the later 93-94 used an improved headlight using H4 bulbs and not the stupid useless bulbs in the earlier ones.

hey jcrome :P

Thanks again everyone!

you didnt mention exactly what year you had, the 89-92 are known to be worse than average. the later 93-94 used an improved headlight using H4 bulbs and not the stupid useless bulbs in the earlier ones.

It's a 1991. I've actually upgraded the Headlight unit to a JDM 1 peice (H4 bulb). Time to start troubleshooting. Anyone have any ideas? I'll start with relays and fuses, but perhaps someone else has hit this snag before.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks again everyone!

It's a 1991. I've actually upgraded the Headlight unit to a JDM 1 peice (H4 bulb). Time to start troubleshooting. Anyone have any ideas? I'll start with relays and fuses, but perhaps someone else has hit this snag before.

Thanks again guys!

what bulbs are you running?

check the aim, if it is too high then you won't have nearly has much usable light.

9posts ehh...

Read up your drivers manual. Chances are you'll find exactly what tackered says. And from what I know, no diff in the brightness of DRL vs low beams for 91 in Canada. Switch in the second spot only attenuates the dash lights and allows use of the dimmer. Switching it to the third position enables foglights and highbeams.

Was going to try the Silverstars, but haven't done that yet. JC found them to be brighter than the stock. If your not getting greater output using them, then check the relay. Also check that the relay blades and the socket they plug into are clean and tight. Check that the bulbs are clean and making good contact. You can also check what voltage you're getting at the bulb. As mentioned, always good to check wiring conditon.

I've got a '92 LS400 and low beams = DRL. The only difference is that when I turn the light switch to on, my dash lights dim.

That's exactly what mine do (except park lights also come on). There has to be something else causing this though.

I tried two identical (or near identical) bulbs in my LS400, and then my sister's Sunfire. The sunfire had WHITE light, with the low beams. Mine was yellow. =/

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Canadian 1991 LS400 headlights?

I can't help but think there is SOME sort of problem. Videos on youtube, photos from other vehicles on this site, they all seem to have brighter headlights. This video (I apologize for the posters bad taste in music) at 0:18,

, the headlights are on LOW (no park lights), and the light is bright and white.

Can another confirm that DRL = Lowbeams? I've got conflicting reports now, not sure if I should start going through my wiring or not!

Thanks again!

what bulbs are you running?

check the aim, if it is too high then you won't have nearly has much usable light.

Aim has been checked, it's peachy. I can't actually back up 25ft as per standard aiming, since my light pattern is just a glow at that distance, can't actually tell if the pattern is moving down 2 inches. But it is pointing down at the correct angle, did it in 5ft increments instead (pretty sad...).

The bulbs are H4 Silverstar Ultras, the ones everyone raves about being the brightest/best. The headlight unit is a JDM 1 piece.

Thanks for your help PureDrifter!

Anyone else?

DRL = Low Beams on 1st gen?

sorry, hadn't noticed that you were in Canada. the US market 1st gens didn't have any DRL at all, and in later lexus model, incl. my '99 the DRL were generally separate from the low beams.

Crap. Well that sucks. Guess I'll be working on retrofitting projectors in the near future. Thanks guys!

The Canadian market early LS with DRL used a lower power (current) when they were on, compared to when the headlights are actually switched on. I believe the number in the owner's manual is 80%. You should notice an increase when switching the headlights on. However you should make the test in the daytime to confirm that your lights do increase in brightness when switching from DRL to headlights low beam.

So you retrofit projectors....

Not only will you STILL have dull lights because of the wiring problem you think you have....

But you'll also have your lens ruining ANY light coming out of HIDs.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time retrofitting projectors... Figure out if you have a wiring problem or not. If NOT then go buy some Silverstar ULTRAs. These are as bright as a normal halogen will get.

However HIDs WERE an option in my 97 which has the diffused lens... How did this work?? Is the lens HID compatible?

Don't know about other years, but in the Canadian 91LS, DRL = lowbeam headlight, and comes on regardless of the position of the switch, when the engine is running and pk brk is released. Switch makes no difference in the brightness of the lowbeams. It only enables fog lights, panel lights, high beam, and highbeam flasher as per my manual. No mention of an attenuation to 80%.

The Canadian market early LS with DRL used a lower power (current) when they were on, compared to when the headlights are actually switched on. I believe the number in the owner's manual is 80%. You should notice an increase when switching the headlights on. However you should make the test in the daytime to confirm that your lights do increase in brightness when switching from DRL to headlights low beam.
Switch makes no difference in the brightness of the lowbeams

Well *BLEEP*, what do I do now? lol 8(

Personally I wouldn't waste my time retrofitting projectors... Figure out if you have a wiring problem or not. If NOT then go buy some Silverstar ULTRAs. These are as bright as a normal halogen will get.

I've been keeping an eye on the lens offered here: http://clublexus.com/forums/club-lexus-ven...rest-ls400.html

Sadly, I already have Silterstar ULTRAs installed in my car. They are not bright, hence my perceived headlight problem. Thanks Guys!

I'll explore some options.

Edit: Anyone have a wiring diagram? :)

Howdy Folks!

Good news! I checked through a wiring diagram.

There is:

A) A resistor that actually DIMS the low beams for the DRL. So no, DRL should NOT equal Lo-Beams.

B) A ton of relay's in the Canadian version, and I will not have time to check them all.

I'll keep at it! But will be out of the country (and sadly, away from my car) until the new year. However, when the new year comes I will be out there, in the -38C weather, testing relays!

If all else fails, I will remove the resistor. (ie: perma lo-beam!)

Merry Christmas!

Jify

Wiring diagram was different. I guess they changed between 91 and 93? Anyways, hooked the light directly up to the battery, no real improvement in brightness. So there you have it, no resistor. DRL = Low Beams.

That being said, my high beams are now angled downwards, and I will just drive with them at night.

Hope this thread didn't confuse everyone!

Cheers,

Jify

Sometimes it takes investigation like you've done to find the right answer. Props to you for your determination to see it through. Headlights on the early 400's are the weak point, perhaps along w the leaky p/s pump, but something I've learned to live with. You can always go for the conversion. Goodonya for posting your results. It's helpful info for everyone.

:cheers: