91 Ls400 - No Low Beams!

Jify

91 LS400, been working beautifully ever since I've purchased it. Minor preventative maintenance, installed a remote starter, and changed the battery/belts/fluid. I recently have cycled through a few headlights, trying to get more light intensity, I've given up.

My last headlight switch was about a month ago. I started the car yesterday, and to my horror, no low beams! No biggy, so they burnt out. I grabbed one of my higher end pairs and threw them in, same problem! I had this car outside all year last year, not a single problem with headlights and cold weather. Now, no low beams! The odd part is I do have fully functional high beams. (and fog/park lights too)

Anyone ever have a problem like this? No low beams, but functional high beams? It just "happened" one day, there was no "oops".

Is there a fuse somewhere that handles only the low beam circuit?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Jify

I have the same problem with my 95 LS400. No low beam, but I have high and foglights.

Both low beam bulbs had melted.

???

I didn't see any melting when I opened up the headlights and replaced the bulbs. I'll be troubleshooting some more today. Peeked at all the fuses last night, didn't see anything burnt out.

The previous bulbs were very high wattage, I'm guessing (wild guess) that it may have been too much draw for the current wires, perhaps a wire failed somewhere in the circuit. If I find anything today I'll post it here.

Cheers,

Jify

Well, I started it up this morning to head downtown for an oil filter. Put it in reverse and I'll be damned if the headlights didn't turn on, and stay on. So problem fixed!

Sticking relay? Cold weather?

The high wattage bulbs are now ousted. Back to my Silverstar Ultras :)