1995 Lexus Es300 Power Steering Pump ?

Whatevuh

g/f has a 1995 ES300, her mechanic says the cooling fan isn't turning, causing the raditator to overheat, he says the power steering pump is shot, does this make any sense? What does the power steering pump have to do with fan/cooling system ? :(

That belt spins both so if one is seized(ing), other components won't work properly, either.

funny, I asked a Lexus Service Manager at a dealership, and he was laughing, said it has nothing to do with it, Thanks for the reply, now I have to eat crow when I get home :D

Yes it makes sense. The cooling fan is Hydraulicly driven. The power steering pump has two separate sections on it. The front section (closest to the pully) is used for the steering gear. The rear section is used to drive the fan. I would sugest before you replace the pump, make sure the electical connector is plugged in properly (there is a soliniod on the pump). If you really feel adventurous. you could unplug the connector and apply power to the solinoid. There is a controller ( located near the glove box). It uses a temp sensor, and also gets a input from the air conditioning. The controller sends a signal to the solinoid which sends pressurized oil to the fan. lift the hood, and make sure everything is plugged in, ESPECIALLY if there has be work done to the car recently.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
its interesting that the lexus dealer laughed it off. its actaully all high end camrys (92-96) and all lexus es300s from the same year have the hydraulic fan. my pump and hoses both failed recently. wasn't too cheap to replace them

Hi- It seems the '96 and later Es300s should come with an electric fan. Depending on the version of MZ-1FE engine that was placed within the 1995, it could have either hydraulic fan or electric. 1994s and before have hydraulics. (reference the parts list as supplied in a thread pinned on this forum).

I recently replaced my power steering pump and hoses. In the process of finding the right parts, I learned that the engine in my 1996 body was a 94ish engine. It was good to know that I had to start differentiating whether I asked for '96 or '94 parts depending on the piece...