How To Do The 99+ Drl Mod?

TXSC3

I have a 98 and want to make it like the 99+ models that use the high beams as daytime running lamps. This is purely so people see my car is there and don't crush my fenders; I've had a few close calls.

I want to do it the right way and not with some Mickey Mouse add on module that flips a relay when the ignition on wire is hot. The OEM Toyota system does it the same way but it does not look like ghetto engineering.

Anyone know if there is a module somewhere in the electrical system of a 99+ that is plug and play for the older cars?

I have a 98 and want to make it like the 99+ models that use the high beams as daytime running lamps. This is purely so people see my car is there and don't crush my fenders; I've had a few close calls.

I want to do it the right way and not with some Mickey Mouse add on module that flips a relay when the ignition on wire is hot. The OEM Toyota system does it the same way but it does not look like ghetto engineering.

Anyone know if there is a module somewhere in the electrical system of a 99+ that is plug and play for the older cars?

To do it the right way,99+ models use four relays for the DRL system. I'm sure they are available from Lexus, but it is NOT plug and play.You will also need the connectors,mounting brackets,a few wire harnesses and maybe a different headlight combination switch on the steering column.The factory wiring diagram for the headlight system would also be useful.

The "Mickey Mouse" DRL kits you don't like are used on thousands of U.S. spec cars imported into Canada each year. Most Canadian Tire stores can install a DRL kit in a few minutes.

I'm a big fan of DRL or driving with headlights on during the day -- since the 1960s when I realized that my little silver 2-seater was just about invisible to oncoming traffic on 2-lane highways.

There are plenty of DRL kits available but most require some wire cutting. Here is a good site: http://www.daytime-running-lights.com/

Another alternative is to drive with your headlights on during the day. I've done that on every car without DRL I've owned or rented since the 60's and my wife does that every day in her 98 Camry. In fact, we never turn the Camry's headlights off since they go on and off with the ignition switch.