"manually" Shifting In S-mode. Power/snow Mode.

I'm the new owner of a 2007 IS 250 RWD with the automatic transmission. I've owned automatics and manual transmissions before, but I'm curious what the preferred techniques are for the use of the automatic in S-mode, specifically what to do with the throttle. Does one blip when down-shifting? Lift momentarily when up-shifting? Or, just just leave the throttle set and let the transmission sort it out?

Also, what do the two Power Modes do, exactly? I assume the Power mode slides the shift points to higher rev ranges or speeds and Snow mode slides them lower. Is this correct, and, if so, are there any other changes?

The PWR mode actually sets the shift points lower than in standard mode. You can test it out by flooring it, it'll shift way before the red line. The only difference is that it reacts to the throttle input much faster, and it also holds a gear more often. Basically it's a more agressive mode for spirited driving - if that's even possible in the 250.

The snow mode just doesn't allow you to accelerate too fast, and I'm pretty sure there is a big limit to how much you can rev up(lower shift point).

The S mode is very useless, except for downshifting - but there is no way to blip the throttle...as far as I know. The car will shift faster in Drive, if you want to go 0-60 for example.