Looking To Replace My '97 Es300 Radio

cu2cool

I've tried weghing the benefits of fixing the stock radio I have now to buying a newer radio. Trying to fix my radio would mean replacing the LCD (which doesn't seem so hard), seeking out the bulbs to replace the lights behind the radio buttons and soldering them in (which I've never done). If I just go with the new radio option, I would need to find a matching faceplate and spend more money. With the new radio option however, I could benefit using mp3 CD and player options, bluetooth phone connectivity, HD Radio options, and maybe Nav options (looking to spend under $500). I really just want the mp3 playback capabilities, and not have to fix the LEDs behind my buttons because it sounds tedious.

Anyways, I'm living in the Boston area and I'm looking for a good place to go to get a good deal, where I can find a matching faceplate (I've seen this one on ebay), and maybe installation.

Is it just a regular DIN or double DIN slot that I'd have to match up? Is there any special cable that I would have to get to make it work in my Lexus? I really like this Pioneer one from Best Buy, but I think on circuitcity.com it says it's not compatible with my car. I don't know why. Please advise.

I would check with the folks at www.crutchfield.com ...they'll give you all the info on fitment, install, and if you want to do it yourself, they have install guides. They also have decent stuff and good sales. If you are looking for pure good prices, www.Etronics.com is a good place to shop from.

Do you have a picture of your dash? I have a '95 ES300, and the dash is different. From what I'm reading, you've got a single DIN opening, but then I've found several kits for a double DIN opening like you had shown in your link. If it's double DIN, then this stereo should fit. If it's single DIN, then it won't. But it seems there are mounting kits to make a single DIN into a double DIN. If you have enough depth (the '97 is supposed to have 9 15/16" depth), then with a double DIN face plate this head unit should fit nicely.

Hopefully someone else who has done a similar install will chime in.