Which One Is The Best?

HI EVERYONE THIS IS MY FIRST TIME GETTING TO THIS WEBSITE SO I HAVE SEVERAL QUESTION TO ASK A PROFESIONAL LIKE YOU GUYS . 2 DAYS AGO I WENT TO LEXUS AND BMW DEALERSHIP. I WOULD LIKE TO COMPARE THE 2009 IS 250 AWD AND THE 2009 BMW 328XI WHICH ONE IS BETTER? MOST OF THE PEOPLE SAY THAT THE BMW 328XI IS MOST FASTER ,THE ENGINE AND SUSPENSION ARE BETTER THEN IS 250 . BUT I THINK THE DESIGNER OF THE BWM INSIDE IT LOOK VERY UGLY.. THE LAST THING IS ABOUT THE COLOR .I HAVE A DILEMMA. BEFORE I LIKE BLACK SAPPHIRE PEARL BUT I FIND OUT THE BLACK COLOR ON THE CAR IS VERY EASY TO GET DURTY IM LIVING IN CANADA AND THE WINTER TIME IS VERY HARD TO CLEAR IT. IN OTHER WORD IM LAZY. SO DOES Starfire Pearl OR BACK SAPPHIRE PEARL IS THE BEST COLOR ? THAN YOU VERY MUCH I WILL APPRECIATE YOU SUGGESTION.

Turn off your CAPS LOCK.

You really need to decide all these issues--not rely on us. This is a Lexus forum--the recommendations here will be skewed toward Lexus because that's what we all own. I didn't even look at the BMW because the price would be more, reliability less, and the iDrive a PITA. Sure, the IS wouldn't be as much of a driver's car than the 3, but the IS is still miles ahead of what I had before. As to color--all personal preference.

Good luck to you in your decision.

I test drove both. I found the BMW had a firmer supension and a heavier steering feel. The difference in power was most noticeable off the line, but mid-range passing power was comparable. The 250 gets better fuel consumption. What I disliked was the fugly interior, fake leather, and lack of amenities for a price that is higher than the IS250 AWD. Not a fan of the run flat tires either. The 328 does get a fold down rear seat which would be a boon in the IS.

Also consider 3 year lease vs. long term ownership. Since I was looking to keep my car 6-8 years, the prospect of paying for German sized repairs is frightening at best. However if you lease, it's not an issue because you will be in warranty and have free scheduled maintenance for 4 years.

In the end the choice depends on your priorities. If you get the Lexus people will say you got geezer's car and don't know real performance. If you get the BMW, people will call you poser and a prick. The choice is yours :)

Remember to test the g35x/g37x. It has more power than the BMW and a nicer interior to boot.

• 7 months later...

this reply is a bit late......and u may have already made your decision

I was in the same dilemma as you when i was looking to buy my next car..i ultimately ended up going w/ the Lexus IS for several reasons...

Design: I think the IS design is much better, more sporty than the BMW 3 series...

Quality: Japanese cars in general are just better quality than any other automobile manufacturers in my opinion...they last much longer...break down much less. Further, Lexus doesn't use cheap interior.....the wood they haev in the car is genuine wood made from Yamaha piano's....BMW uses fake leather...and the seats are much harder.....lexus has much more cushiony seats....

More for the Money: Being a techie myself...i fell in love w/ all the tech options that the car came w/...i think lexus has the best navigation system because it's touch screen....both my parents have bmw's... (750Li and X5) and i hate the idrive wheel you have to use...such a hassle and it takes FOREVER to input addresses.....lexus has packages for their options...whereas BMW, options are individual....i did the math...if you include all the options on the BMW that the Lexus comes with.....the price difference is ridiculously different...BMW being much more pricey

Maintanence: European cars and maintanence sucks......both my parents have to take their cars in for service way too often.....something's always off....even the 7 series has these problems.....and it's the highest class!!

Ride: BMW and Mercedes are kinda known for the stiff steering.....i test drove the 3 series and the 1 series...and in comparison, the lexus had much smoother handling....this is mostly due to the fact that they're more performance cars w/ bigger engines and higher horse power than the IS

ultimately you should ask yourself...do you want luxury or performance??.....Lexus would be the luxury...and BMW would be the performance.....

Prestige: Honestly, the biggest thing BMW has going for them is the prestige.....that was the only reason why i was even considering the BMW...if that were not a factor i would go for the lexus in a heartbeat