What's Up With The Cargo Cover Flap Clips?

Liu_RN

I have been very happy with my Lexus RX350 purchase, a perfect car with luxury, comfort & reliability. But if there is one thing to gripe at, it is those CARGO COVER CLIPS for the flap. Who was the moron that designed that? The clips don't even work; the insert hole is too large so it won't stay on the headrest posts. If I was at Lexus, I would fire the designer & the manager who came up with those useless clips.

I did manage to solve the problem of the clips from falling off by using a 2" electrical tape & taping it around the top of the headrest posts to make the post thicker, but I shouldn't have to do that. Before releasing a product, you would expect that they tested it out to make sure it worked. Apparently they were asleep on this one. Everyone should email Lexus & complain about those stupid clips that doesn't work & maybe that moron design engineer would wake up. :chairshot:

I have been very happy with my Lexus RX350 purchase, a perfect car with luxury, comfort & reliability. But if there is one thing to gripe at, it is those CARGO COVER CLIPS for the flap. Who was the moron that designed that? The clips don't even work; the insert hole is too large so it won't stay on the headrest posts. If I was at Lexus, I would fire the designer & the manager who came up with those useless clips.

I did manage to solve the problem of the clips from falling off by using a 2" electrical tape & taping it around the top of the headrest posts to make the post thicker, but I shouldn't have to do that. Before releasing a product, you would expect that they tested it out to make sure it worked. Apparently they were asleep on this one. Everyone should email Lexus & complain about those stupid clips that doesn't work & maybe that moron design engineer would wake up. :chairshot:

Hmmm...mine work fine and are quite tight. Maybe it is a defect in only your cargo cover or a previous owner somehow damaged the clips or stretched them out. You might go by a Lexus dealer and check out a new or used RX on the lot to see if it has the same problem.

eBay has replacement genuine Lexus cargo covers occasionally but they aren't cheap.

It gives me more confidence in Lexus to know that I am the exception. I didn't think the clips could be stretched out because the clips are pretty solid plastic & they don't really have that much stretchability; it had to been a manufacturing defect. When I was searching for a Lexus online, I always saw pictures of the flaps hanging down & not clip on to the headrest posts, so I assumed they had the same problem. I am satisfied with the cargo cover once I fixed the problem with the tape job.

I have the same 'loose clip' issue on my '99, so they've had a few issues with that design for a while. Although, only one clip on mine is loose. I wrapped the headrest post with Kapton tape which makes a nice 'nearly invisible' snug fit.

As for quality, you know Lexus outsources those cargo covers... and those clips are an injected part, so it looks like there was some variability in the parts... probably a processing/shrink issue from the molding process. I'm confident there are more loose clips out there, and I bet they show up sporadically (probably depending on who was running the injection machine at the time ;-).