2001 Ls430 Navigation Update Gone Wrong

TallerMike

So I bought one of those 7.1 navigation DVD's on eBay for $50. I threw it into the unit in the back (after some trouble realizing that there is a button behind the sliding bit. I kept sliding it back and pushing the sliding part in trying to get in to eject). So needless to say, it shows the screen saying it's updating and not to turn the car off. Once that finished, it went to the map and sure enough, I had version 7.1 installed! I can see the version number under the options, and then it seems to show new icons (at least I don't remember seeing these before) for parks, golf courses and shopping centers.

So now the bad part. I can't enter a destination. All of the buttons to enter destination (by address, intersection, previous destination, marked point, etc...) are all "disabled". They look like they do when the car is moving. I can't even change the area of the US I'm in, that's all disabled as well. The only button that works is the "Next" button and I can enter a destination by map. It will route me if I do something close (although it takes way longer than before), but it won't find something far away.

I tried using the voice commands to send me home, it says that home is not registered. I tried telling it to turn POI on, it says that POI is only visible when zoomed in more (despite the fact that I'm zoomed in all the way).

I've tried taking the disk out and putting my old disk back in again, and it says that it can't read from the disk. I've tried pulling the fuse for the navigation unit, turning the car on, turning the car off, putting the fuse back in, then turning the car back on again. This resulting in large amounts of sweating as the unit was black except for climate controls for a few minutes. Then it came back to it's previously hobbled state.

I thought maybe it needed more time running to update itself, so I left it running in the driveway for 45 minutes, not go.

I've driven it around, and it knows where I am. A couple of times, I've turned it on, and some of the buttons suddenly are there (but never all of them). I've managed to confirm that all of my marked points are still there, I was even able to get it to take me home once. But the next morning I started it and that didn't work anymore.

Help! Did I kill my baby?

So I bought one of those 7.1 navigation DVD's on eBay for $50. I threw it into the unit in the back (after some trouble realizing that there is a button behind the sliding bit. I kept sliding it back and pushing the sliding part in trying to get in to eject). So needless to say, it shows the screen saying it's updating and not to turn the car off. Once that finished, it went to the map and sure enough, I had version 7.1 installed! I can see the version number under the options, and then it seems to show new icons (at least I don't remember seeing these before) for parks, golf courses and shopping centers.

So now the bad part. I can't enter a destination. All of the buttons to enter destination (by address, intersection, previous destination, marked point, etc...) are all "disabled". They look like they do when the car is moving. I can't even change the area of the US I'm in, that's all disabled as well. The only button that works is the "Next" button and I can enter a destination by map. It will route me if I do something close (although it takes way longer than before), but it won't find something far away.

I tried using the voice commands to send me home, it says that home is not registered. I tried telling it to turn POI on, it says that POI is only visible when zoomed in more (despite the fact that I'm zoomed in all the way).

I've tried taking the disk out and putting my old disk back in again, and it says that it can't read from the disk. I've tried pulling the fuse for the navigation unit, turning the car on, turning the car off, putting the fuse back in, then turning the car back on again. This resulting in large amounts of sweating as the unit was black except for climate controls for a few minutes. Then it came back to it's previously hobbled state.

I thought maybe it needed more time running to update itself, so I left it running in the driveway for 45 minutes, not go.

I've driven it around, and it knows where I am. A couple of times, I've turned it on, and some of the buttons suddenly are there (but never all of them). I've managed to confirm that all of my marked points are still there, I was even able to get it to take me home once. But the next morning I started it and that didn't work anymore.

Help! Did I kill my baby?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I thought everything was fixed, but every so often all of the buttons go disabled again and I can't enter a destination (I'm in park). Forcing a re-install of the software seems to fix the problem, but it's very annoying. I've recently moved to NC and it's happening more often (can't decide if that's because I'm driving it more or because I changed locations?). Any thoughts?