Transmission Help

Ok, so the tranny is going. I have all the signs (slipping, acts like neutral in reverse etc) Unfortunately, these signs are sporadic and hard to replicate with the mechanic sitting in the seat. Luckily, I have a dealer warranty that totally covers it. However, they are not wanting to do anything until I am broken down on the side of the road with no movement.

I can understand they don't want to shell out the money until absolutely having to. However, my problem is I have a 2 and a 4 year old that drive around with my wife in the city all the time and I do not want them breaking down on the side (or middle) of they busy freeways.

So, my question is how would I go about "laying my transmission to rest" in the "vicinity" of my house? I was told to just jam it into park. However, I don't want to do anything that they can come back and say I abused the tranny or something ( I don't know if they could tell that I did that but I assume they could).

I'm not trying to be unethical here - I have 20K / 2 yrs left on my warranty so I know it's going before that is expired. I just know the inevitable is coming and I want my family to be safe when it does.

Thanks for any input/help.

Don't try to kill the tranny... although I'm not to sure how you managed to already put one of its feet in the grave... go back to the dealer and make a fuss... insist that its putting you and your family in danger... ect...

Whats the year and the mileage of your RX?

2001 with 108K. The only problem is I've gone that road with the dealer. It is not a "Lexus" warranty but an aftermarket added by an Acura dealer. They will not replace it until it is "reproducible" by one of their mechanics, period. I've gone the whole route that my family is at risk etc but they do not care. I just want to "help" it along, not do anything that isn't already going to happen.

How he got one foot in the grave?? Mine went at 70k an at the time I was told it was not all that uncommon. That and my motor likely needing a reardown due to sludge at 75k .I have no sympathy for Lexus.

If I knew a way to kill the trans.in B&K’s case I would. Throwing in park might break it but in the wrong place. Maybe reveres would might help thing along, drop it in at 30mph or so (leave the kids at home).

Regards, PK