Red Hot Cat Need Help

Sarith

Hey guys im new on this Form was wounder If i can get some help, I have a LS 400 1990 seem like when i start my car the Catalytic Converter gets REALLY RED. and im wondering why, i had problems with my Idle Speed Value with the RPM going up and down over 2000 RPM, got that Fix. And now i got Problems starting the car with the Catalytic Converter Getting red hot on me, lack of power when u drive, car dies out at times, does any one know what can cause the cat to Get Red hot? PLZ help thanks

Open the hood, look at the ignition wiring. In other words, you have 8 wires that go to the spark plugs, and 2 that go to the 2 ignition coils. One coil lays on top of the engine-a little flat guy that is usually not the problem. The other wire connects in the engine on the drivers side to the other coil. This is usually the problem because the wire is connected to the coil with a clip, because it is mounted sideways, and gravity can cause it to loosen. If it loosens, the cats go nuts, and they become red hot. I had to buy a new set of wires to basically get the clip that holds the ignition wire secure on the coil. 60 bucks, but it was worth it. Best of luck.....

Open the hood, look at the ignition wiring. In other words, you have 8 wires that go to the spark plugs, and 2 that go to the 2 ignition coils. One coil lays on top of the engine-a little flat guy that is usually not the problem. The other wire connects in the engine on the drivers side to the other coil. This is usually the problem because the wire is connected to the coil with a clip, because it is mounted sideways, and gravity can cause it to loosen. If it loosens, the cats go nuts, and they become red hot. I had to buy a new set of wires to basically get the clip that holds the ignition wire secure on the coil. 60 bucks, but it was worth it. Best of luck.....

thanks a lot ill try it tomorrow and see what happens

• 3 months later...
Hey guys im new on this Form was wounder If i can get some help, I have a LS 400 1990 seem like when i start my car the Catalytic Converter gets REALLY RED. and im wondering why, i had problems with my Idle Speed Value with the RPM going up and down over 2000 RPM, got that Fix. And now i got Problems starting the car with the Catalytic Converter Getting red hot on me, lack of power when u drive, car dies out at times, does any one know what can cause the cat to Get Red hot? PLZ help thanks

could it be that one or more of the 02 sensers went out? when that happens the fuel mixture can be way off and you can

acually melt a cat converter and they will plug up and thats how they retain heat untill they glow red . I have seen it ! but not on a lexus. there is no where for the exhaust to go and your car will not start and if it does barely start it will run like crap. check fuel mixture/02 sensors and replace or fix. then replace the catalytic converter . its probably shot

could it be that one or more of the 02 sensers went out? when that happens the fuel mixture can be way off and you can

acually melt a cat converter and they will plug up and thats how they retain heat untill they glow red . I have seen it ! but not on a lexus. there is no where for the exhaust to go and your car will not start and if it does barely start it will run like crap. check fuel mixture/02 sensors and replace or fix. then replace the catalytic converter . its probably shot

Could the cat be plugged up?? :huh:

yes . when the fuel is not compleatly burned in the engine is still burning in the exhaust. I do believe it will melt the inside of the cat. which is a precious metel like titanium that is made pourous . and when it melts it becomes nonporous inhibiting the flow of exhaust retaining heat and turning the entire cat. red hot

• 3 weeks later...

Could the cat be plugged up?? :huh:

yes . when the fuel is not compleatly burned in the engine is still burning in the exhaust. I do believe it will melt the inside of the cat. which is a precious metel like titanium that is made pourous . and when it melts it becomes nonporous inhibiting the flow of exhaust retaining heat and turning the entire cat. red hot

Careful, One of the guys in a Tundra group I belong to parked in a grassy field, and his Cat was so hot it started a grass fire and burned up his truck. I feel for the guy, It was a sharp one.