Maintenance Light On Every 5000 Miles?

LexusGX470InAz

A couple months ago I bought a used GX470 that was a lease return. It had 32,000 miles on it.

The maintenance light did not come on until about 37,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and they did maintenance.

I drove another 4,500 miles or so (maybe 5,000) and now the orange "Maintenance Required" light came back on.

I called Lexus and they told me that I have to bring the thing back in for maintenance every 5,000 miles.

WTF? Is this true??? They are charging me $200 every 5000 miles? Is this a scam? Did they program something to make this thing come on?

If I turn the light off, will it void my warranty?

Thanks.

A couple months ago I bought a used GX470 that was a lease return. It had 32,000 miles on it.

The maintenance light did not come on until about 37,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and they did maintenance.

I drove another 4,500 miles or so (maybe 5,000) and now the orange "Maintenance Required" light came back on.

I called Lexus and they told me that I have to bring the thing back in for maintenance every 5,000 miles.

WTF? Is this true??? They are charging me $200 every 5000 miles? Is this a scam? Did they program something to make this thing come on?

If I turn the light off, will it void my warranty?

Thanks.

To be clear, the light comes on and stays on! Doesn't go off.

You're darn right it's a SCAM! It's your car telling you it's time to change the oil, that's it! It's set at 5,000 mile intervals from when it's reset. So, if you buy the car with 0 miles, change the oil at 3,000 miles, the light will still come on at 5,000 miles. $200 bucks? Buddy, you've been hosed amigo. The "check engine light" is the one that triggers if there is a problem. The maintence light is simply for the oil changing. It should say that in the car's operating manual. And no, you won't void any type of warranty, especially if you owners manual tells you what it is and how to turn it off.

To reset it:

set the odo to the total mileage count of the car, turn off the car, push and HOLD the reset button on the odo menu while you turn the key to the acc position "electonics come on but don't start the car". Hold it for a few seconds, the light will blink a couple times, and go off for the next 5,000 miles.

4runners do it too.

You're darn right it's a SCAM! It's your car telling you it's time to change the oil, that's it! It's set at 5,000 mile intervals from when it's reset. So, if you buy the car with 0 miles, change the oil at 3,000 miles, the light will still come on at 5,000 miles. $200 bucks? Buddy, you've been hosed amigo. The "check engine light" is the one that triggers if there is a problem. The maintence light is simply for the oil changing. It should say that in the car's operating manual. And no, you won't void any type of warranty, especially if you owners manual tells you what it is and how to turn it off.

To reset it:

set the odo to the total mileage count of the car, turn off the car, push and HOLD the reset button on the odo menu while you turn the key to the acc position "electonics come on but don't start the car". Hold it for a few seconds, the light will blink a couple times, and go off for the next 5,000 miles.

4runners do it too.

ThANK YOU!!! I figured it was just the oil light, which needs changed. I had no idea there was also a "check engine light" because I bought this used and didn't get a manual. I should buy a manual. Thanks again

Yes the maintenance light comes on around 4600 miles and stays on solid at 5000 miles. There is a separate check engine light for the real engine problems (which there shouldnt be any) ;)