I Should Have Listened To You Guys (re: Dealer Car Wash Scratches!

ibisllc

Ok, so here's a not so funny story. So I spent Friday reading through various posts and saw a few people had posted they had issues almost every time when they took their car into their dealer for service and after they washed it and got it back they noticed various issues.

Before I go further, I have a black/black '08 ES350 UL w/ML. Absolutely beautiful.

So, I go into my dealer on Saturday for my first service (the 1,000 quick check). I sit down in the guy's office and I ask him what's involved in this service. He describes it and finishes with saying they also wash it. Knowing what I just read I said, no, don't wash it but you can do the interior vaccum.

As I'm waiting I thought to myself...I'm going to have this car 3-4 years and hopefully another one after that. I can't wash my car myself all these years so I've got trust them. So I walk back into his office and told him I changed my mind and to go ahead and wash it. "No problem" he said.

BIG MISTAKE!!! :chairshot:

When they're done he said my car was outside. When I walk up to it I'm looking at the passenger side. Close inspection, no issues. Nice. I get around to the driver's side and there's two straight line scratches on the rear door that are not real deep but you definitely feel it when you put your finger over it. I go back into his office and tell him..."what was I really nervous about happening?! Well, it happened!".

He comes outside and tells me that was already there. He pulls out a piece of paper that showed his walkaround inspection of the car and showed me marks he made on his sheet to indicate they were already there. He said there's no way their cloth-based machine did this and that it was already there. Sorry, but not their fault. He just called me today (Monday) after talking with him manager and again said sorry but not our fault. I said if you marked it down before you serviced it why wouldn't you have brought that to my attention knowing how anal/nervous I was about it. It's a brand new car and black no less. Don't you think I would have seen that before? I KNOW those scratches were not there before.

So, net/net I have my first scratches and I'm *BLEEP*ed. Needless to say I'm not having a dealer wash the car ever again. But I can't honestly see myself having to hand wash these every time. But I know, there will be more road scratches, parking lot issues, etc. It just sucks because I knew better from all of you and I went back on my instincts. :cries:

Sorry to hear your issues!

What is holding you back from washing yourself? If you want to outsource find a good pro to polish out the scratches and set up some kind of maintenance schedule...

good luck!

can't edit title: Should read "...I should have LISTENED to you guys...":

Ok, so here's a not so funny story. So I spent Friday reading through various posts and saw a few people had posted they had issues almost every time when they took their car into their dealer for service and after they washed it and got it back they noticed various issues.

Before I go further, I have a black/black '08 ES350 UL w/ML. Absolutely beautiful.

So, I go into my dealer on Saturday for my first service (the 1,000 quick check). I sit down in the guy's office and I ask him what's involved in this service. He describes it and finishes with saying they also wash it. Knowing what I just read I said, no, don't wash it but you can do the interior vaccum.

As I'm waiting I thought to myself...I'm going to have this car 3-4 years and hopefully another one after that. I can't wash my car myself all these years so I've got trust them. So I walk back into his office and told him I changed my mind and to go ahead and wash it. "No problem" he said.

When they're done he said my car was outside. When I walk up to it I'm looking at the passenger side. Close inspection, no issues. Nice. I get around to the driver's side and there's two straight line scratches on the rear door that are not real deep but you definitely feel it when you put your finger over it. I go back into his office and tell him..."what was I really nervous about happening?! Well, it happened!".

He comes outside and tells me that was already there. He pulls out a piece of paper that showed his walkaround inspection of the car and showed me marks he made on his sheet to indicate they were already there. He said there's no way their cloth-based machine did this and that it was already there. Sorry, but not their fault. He just called me today (Monday) after talking with him manager and again said sorry but not our fault. I said if you marked it down before you serviced it why wouldn't you have brought that to my attention knowing how anal/nervous I was about it. It's a brand new car and black no less. Don't you think I would have seen that before? I KNOW those scratches were not there before.

So, net/net I have my first scratches and I'm *BLEEP*ed. Needless to say I'm not having a dealer wash the car ever again. But I can't honestly see myself having to hand wash these every time. But I know, there will be more road scratches, parking lot issues, etc. It just sucks because I knew better from all of you and I went back on my instincts. :cries:

Available time is holding me back (60-80 work week). Plus when it gets to winter time I'm certainly not going outside to wash the car either.

I think I saw in another thread some scratch remover solution (Nu-Finish Scratch Remover) may do the trick for these scratches. But I still need to address the car wash thing for the long term.

Anyone have an opinion on the Nu-Finish product?

Sorry to hear your issues!

What is holding you back from washing yourself? If you want to outsource find a good pro to polish out the scratches and set up some kind of maintenance schedule...

good luck!

can't edit title: Should read "...I should have LISTENED to you guys...":

So, net/net I have my first scratches and I'm *BLEEP*ed. Needless to say I'm not having a dealer wash the car ever again. But I can't honestly see myself having to hand wash these every time. But I know, there will be more road scratches, parking lot issues, etc. It just sucks because I knew better from all of you and I went back on my instincts.:cries:

I would skip any NuFinish product. Meguiars ScratchX is a better choice.

Hire a professional to wash it weekly by hand. Get references, go to www.autopia.org and find someone in your area. Should be plenty of folks in central NJ. It'll cost you about $25 a week.

Your ES is single stage, it has no clearcoat and the paint is very soft. Improper washing or carwashed will destroy the paint.

Hire a professional to wash it weekly by hand. Get references, go to www.autopia.org and find someone in your area. Should be plenty of folks in central NJ. It'll cost you about $25 a week.

Your ES is single stage, it has no clearcoat and the paint is very soft. Improper washing or carwashed will destroy the paint.

SW03ES - Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion on the scratch product. I had seen your prior posts about the soft paint and even mentioned that to the dealer service rep and his refuted that saying the he's seen no paint chipping or other paint related issues in his 10+ year experience and is not aware of anyone indicating as such. Oh yeah?! Then why the scratch the first time I brought them the car.

I also told him about this website and suggested he check it out and start reading.

I don't think I'll be able to go with the weekly wash, but I've already begun to search out a few detailers in Central NJ but I'll also use your suggestion of the autopia.org to supplement that search.

From your perspective, why doesn't the ES have a clearcoat? Do other Lexus cars (e.g. LS) have a clearcoat? Can it or should it be added?

Thanks again!

I'll try the Megiares thanks

Just a note...I have a black RX 330, the dealer forgot to mention the lack of clear coat..nice..don't let a bird ruin your paint job...use a mitt to wash and soft shami to dry...if you get squirls I have used NU scratch rmover it s quick and it works...apply a good wax after...For exprotextion I have a Clear bra. don't leave home without it!

SW03ES - Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion on the scratch product. I had seen your prior posts about the soft paint and even mentioned that to the dealer service rep and his refuted that saying the he's seen no paint chipping or other paint related issues in his 10+ year experience and is not aware of anyone indicating as such. Oh yeah?! Then why the scratch the first time I brought them the car.

I also told him about this website and suggested he check it out and start reading.

I don't think I'll be able to go with the weekly wash, but I've already begun to search out a few detailers in Central NJ but I'll also use your suggestion of the autopia.org to supplement that search.

From your perspective, why doesn't the ES have a clearcoat? Do other Lexus cars (e.g. LS) have a clearcoat? Can it or should it be added?

Thanks again!

So, net/net I have my first scratches and I'm *BLEEP*ed. Needless to say I'm not having a dealer wash the car ever again. But I can't honestly see myself having to hand wash these every time. But I know, there will be more road scratches, parking lot issues, etc. It just sucks because I knew better from all of you and I went back on my instincts.:cries:

Washing your own car is just like a good work out. I would never take my car to any car washes period. Even though, mine is 02's.

Working in the dealership, I had lots of my vendors giving me advices on how to wash your own car. One thing that I learn is to wash it with less water. I would recommended anyone to try KLASSE products. It's work wonderfully..

Here's how to clean your car without water!!

*Get a sponge (big yellw) usually you can get it at home depot..

*soak the sponge and apply some of the KLASSE all-in-one product ( not too much )

*then clean it, just like you are using soap, it much easier and not envolve water hoses get in your ways

*then dry them by using a clean rags/towels...

This is just like waxing/polishing your car at the same time...You can see the difference especially you have a black car.

I do my own wash and it can be fun...you should try it..

Joel

Washing your own car is just like a good work out. I would never take my car to any car washes period. Even though, mine is 02's.

Working in the dealership, I had lots of my vendors giving me advices on how to wash your own car. One thing that I learn is to wash it with less water. I would recommended anyone to try KLASSE products. It's work wonderfully..

Here's how to clean your car without water!!

*Get a sponge (big yellw) usually you can get it at home depot..

*soak the sponge and apply some of the KLASSE all-in-one product ( not too much )

*then clean it, just like you are using soap, it much easier and not envolve water hoses get in your ways

*then dry them by using a clean rags/towels...

This is just like waxing/polishing your car at the same time...You can see the difference especially you have a black car.

I do my own wash and it can be fun...you should try it..

Joel

Just thought you might like to know...I have a 2004 Rx w/ 76000 miles and I invested in a clear bra. No road dings or bug dents. It looks good and protects that soft black paint to the max...just a thought.

It has nothing to do with the ES, its the obsidian black finish, its single stage, meaning it has no clearcoat. Other Lexus colors do. Lexus skipped the clearcoat on the black because its deeper and smoother looking.

I don't consider it a bad thing at all. True it scratches easier, but it also is VERY easy to polish out and when its polished out and detailed it looks better than any other black out there. Lexus isn't the only manufacturer that skips clearcoat on black cars. Its also not uncommon on red cars or white cars. They just need a little extra care.

Yes and yes. If its a color that isn't black, it has a clearcoat ;)

Its really not a big deal. People think clearcoat is this magical thing but really its just paint...thats clear. The colorcoat is the same paint, it just isn't clear. The single stage black is just as thick as the dual or tri stage Lexus paints (anything with the word "pearl" in it is tri-stage) its just all one type of paint.

The reason its softer is because the pigments used to make black paint make the paint softer.