Which Aftermarket Catalytic Converter To Buy?

mb12345

I have a 97 ES300 with 114K miles on it. I have a CEL with P0420 code, catalyst efficiency below threshold. I have replaced the cat twice with aftermarket ones. In both cases, the CEL came back after a couple of months with the same code. So looks like the previous ones were garbage.

In earlier cases, I had the mechanic install the cat. I don't know which ones he was installing. Now, I want to buy a cat myself and have him install.

For those who have had this problem before, and put an aftermarket cat, can you advice on which is the best aftermarket cat to buy that will work and not bring on the CEL/P0420?

I don't want to put a OEM cat from the dealer as it will cost me $1.5K+, so I want to settle down with a aftermarket cat, but of superior quality.

Please advise which is the best aftermarket cat to buy.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Are you sure that the catalytic converter is causing the problem?

If it is, maybe you should try purchasing a used OEM one from a salvage yard. Many of them come with warranties so you can purchase with confidence.

Rich Industries is a good place. www.rich-industries.com

In my 97, around 285,000 i had P0420. somebody replaced 3 times differant Cat. and CEL was comming back. Finaly i found right guy,

who installed correct one and no more CEL. If i remember right he bought from o'rreaiy(Walker). i can find found model if you needs to know.

Now my car has 342,200 with same cat.

Total charge was ~$240 (Parts and welding,labor)

Thanks,