Aftermarket Or Different Rims To Personalize?

cfiiman

Hey everyone. I love my RX, but ever since I bought it, it seems that every other car on the freaking road is an RX lol. Anyway, I was thinking of changing the wheels on the car, and let me state I absolutely do not want some kind of G-ride with 22's or anything, I think that looks really horrible on cars. I have seen a standard 16" rim just like mine but chrome and they look ok, but I was thinking maybe something else would look good but just unsure. The only "rims" I have ever changed on a car was on a 72 Chevelle SS I had back in college and I went with chrome Cragars which really set the car off. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, or better yet, pictures with either different year RX's rims on it or aftermarket I could take a look at? I have an 02' model black RX300. Here is a picture of some that are for sales locally but I don't know if they would look good or not.

post-78274-1224346983_thumb.jpg

Here are a few images of RX's with different rims... with one being our RX300 on RX330 wheels. If you search on here, there are a couple other threads with people showing their custom wheels. One guy has a gold RX300 with matching 18" wheels... it looks pretty good.

post-34901-1224441564_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1224441582_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1224441603_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1224441666_thumb.jpg

Hey man, I really like the 2nd and 3rd pictures! Is the 3rd one yours? It looks like in both of the middle pics the lower "gray" body panels have been painted black. I was thinking about doing these wheels below but cant find any pictures with them on an rx300, do you think they would look good?

post-78274-1224445045_thumb.jpg

Yep, the third one is mine, and you are right in that the lower valence has been color-matched to the car (the previous owner did that after he had something fall on the hood and had it replaced/repainted). Good eye.

Those rims look nice, and they should look very nice on an RX. My personal opinion is that 18" rims look the most balanced on the RX300 (and a little larger looks balanced on the RX330/350/400h)... it makes them look a bit more contemporary than their vintage. As long as you get the correct offset, those wheels will look nice.

Speaking of nice looking RX's, here's one of the nicest I've seen. I believe is an RX330, and it is one of the very few RX's I've ever seen that looks, dare I say, performance oriented. I thinks these are 20" wheels on this RX.

post-34901-1224522781_thumb.jpg

No worries on not knowing... the important thing is you are asking before heading out and buying; here's the answer to your question: OEM is 16x6.5, +35 offset. There is only 12mm clearance between the OEM tire and the rear strut, if you go for a wider rim/tire, you'll need a spacer for a lower (less positive) offset to push them out. Here's what you'll need to know about looking for alternate wheels: http://coolcarrims.com/wheel-customization/

Just make sure your wheels/tires are matched and are sized properly to fit your vehicle, and you should be good to go! www.TireRack.com is also another great place to look for wheel/tire combo information. When looking for wheels/tires for a specific vehicle, I'll use their tire package finder search and see what combos they have that will still fit... that gives me the range of I know will fit on my specific vehicle.

Let us know what you end up with, and be sure to post pics!

Good topic! I am in the same boat. Have an 02 charcoal RX300 with the same five spoke wheels. Am hoping to find some nice gun metal rims but it is a challenge to find rims that fit the RX visually. I would like it to be sporty with a touch of class. I really like those black five spokes... who makes those? If anyone has any more pics of RX's with new shoes it would be really appreciated.... Google is not very helpful. I will post my choices when I get home. Am thinking anywhere from 18in to 20in, but want to have a balanced look. No need to roll on 24s.

Mike