Dashboard Lights Turning Off

Dark Horse

Hello all,

This morning as my wife was about to leave for work (2000 LS400 94K miles), after starting the car, when she turned the headlights on the dash lights turned off. So, with the headlights off all appears to be normal. However, if you turn the parking lights or the headlights on the dashboard lights shut off.

Recently, (about a month ago) parts of the clock digits stopped working. Anyone have any idea on cost to correct this?

Can anyone explain to me what has happened and advise me on the remedy/cost is to correct it?

Thanks in advance.

DH

Hello, I'm not trying to be a smart*ss, but are you sure that the dimmer switch isn't all the way to dim? :)

Hello Raym,

Are you referring to the directional and light swith stalk in the 9 o'clock position? So, if the high beam detent is engaged it will shut off the dash lights when the parking or headlamps are turned on manually?

I did not think of this. However, I don't see why my wife would touch this.

Regards,

D H

Hello, I'm not trying to be a smart*ss, but are you sure that the dimmer switch isn't all the way to dim? :)

Hello Raym,

Are you referring to the directional and light swith stalk in the 9 o'clock position? So, if the high beam detent is engaged it will shut off the dash lights when the parking or headlamps are turned on manually?

Regards,

D H

Hello DH,

No, I'm referring to the dial that will be on the dash probably right behind the light switch stalk. It should be right next to the "Security" LED. That dial controls the brightness of the instrument panel and center console. Remember too that your LS is equipped with automatic brightness control for the instrument panel, so if it's bright outside and the switch is set all the way to dim, the instrument panel will still light up, it will just be slightly dimmer. If it's dark then it will allow you to dim the instrument panel to dark. Like JC said, many people over look this. Hope this helps :)

Ray

Hello Raym,

Regards,

D H

Hello DH,

No, I'm referring to the dial that will be on the dash probably right behind the light switch stalk. It should be right next to the "Security" LED. That dial controls the brightness of the instrument panel and center console. Remember too that your LS is equipped with automatic brightness control for the instrument panel, so if it's bright outside and the switch is set all the way to dim, the instrument panel will still light up, it will just be slightly dimmer. If it's dark then it will allow you to dim the instrument panel to dark. Like JC said, many people over look this. Hope this helps :)

Ray

To Ray and JC,

A thousand thanks.

My wife said she did not remember adjusting the dimmer knob. That must have been it, as it is working OK now. Either that, or there is some electrical glitch somewhere. However, I have no other problems (knock on wood) outside of some of the numerical digits on the clock are not illuminating.

I am very grateful to this board. I look forward to reciprocate.

Regards,

D H

I'd put my money on the dimmer switch too ;)

You'd be surprised at how many people just completely overlook it, and assume it's a huge electrical issue :D

Yep, thats what I was going to say too.... we have seen it asked all too many times here havent we? :)