Power Antenna Operation

zeus87gn

Ok, Ive replaced the mast and drive stem on the power antenna but I don't think it's right.

It goes down just fine.

When it goes up, it gets to the top and makes this buzzing noise and then drops back down a few inches.

I'm guessing it's skipping on the teeth because it doesn't know where to stop?

The instruction sheet that came with the replacement mast states it will stop in a few turns of the radio by self adjusting.

It's been doing it for a couple of weeks now.

Have I done something wrong?

Have I not done something?

Any and all input is welcome.

I'm hoping someone has run into this and has a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Z

I don't really have a solution for your problem, but i'm having an interesting problem with my stock antenna. Everytime i change to a different station the antanna goes down about an inch or so then goes back up.

Any ideas why it would be doing this???

Is this a stock antenna mask or an aftermarket?

I know the stock mask will go up an additional 2" and then will drop back. The buzzing or grinding noise might be due timing of when the teeth catch's the sprockets.

If you still can, try to remove the mask and install it again.

Who gave you this idea of using WD40? Didn't you say it was a new mask?

Thanks again for the response.

It appears to me to be the original antenna. It is stamped Toyota and plugged into the the fcty wiring harness.

It's quite obvious the grinding noise the the gear on the teeth.

It's try removing and reinstalling and see what happens.

Would it matter that I had to remove the entire antenna and break the case open to remove the old broken stem?

The WD40 thing is a joke. There's another thread on it bing the wonder fluid here in this section.

Thanks again for the response.

It appears to me to be the original antenna. It is stamped Toyota and plugged into the the fcty wiring harness.

It's quite obvious the grinding noise the the gear on the teeth.

It's try removing and reinstalling and see what happens.

Would it matter that I had to remove the entire antenna and break the case open to remove the old broken stem?

The WD40 thing is a joke. There's another thread on it bing the wonder fluid here in this section.

On my old Infiniti I bought a new mask/teeth cable, and let it catch the motor, but I haven't tried it on my old LS or SC yet. I've just replaced the unit and installed a new one-but the motor was gone so i had to.

You could try to open it up, and adjust it, but my solutions are generally to bite the cost and replace the unit, if it's annoying. :rolleyes:

Oh, I finally came across that Thread you were referring to about the WD40. Wow!!!

The antenna will adjust it's length to tune in the radio station you have selected the best that it can.

As far as the grinding, it sounds like the stop set points are not working. I'm not sure if these are switch related or programming related.

Tom