What Are Symptoms Of Bad Motor Mounts? Of Bad Tranny Mounts?

TheeSlowPoke

Sorry for adding another thread about motor mounts and tranny mounts but, can we list the symptoms of bad motor mounts and symptoms of bad tranny mounts? IF not, THEN I will continue my tedious searching through all the previous posts.

Thanks,

TheeSlowPoke

Sorry for adding another thread about motor mounts and tranny mounts but, can we list the symptoms of bad motor mounts and symptoms of bad tranny mounts? IF not, THEN I will continue my tedious searching through all the previous posts.

Thanks,

TheeSlowPoke

Vibration felt through the steering wheel and the car in general when the car is stopped, shaking of the gear shifter when the car is in motion. Whirring sound from engine. Vibrations felt at certain speeds/rpms, "popping" sound/kick when engine first starts, etc. Just a general overall "roughness". My car has "toasted" engine and transmission mounts. I am giving the car to my mom, but is going to completely drain one of my savings accounts to get these replaced. :rolleyes:

She is smooth as silk when sitting still.

If there are no vibrations when the car is stopped, then I doubt its the engine mounts then and consider yourself lucky. They are expensive (about $90 each) and a PITN to change and thats on the 90-94 models.... probably even more than that for the newer models. :rolleyes:

• 5 years later...

This thread is pretty old, but since I am still driving a LS400, this issue still valid. I replaced motor mounts today, passenger side was really difficult, I needed a helper and 2 chisels to get the mount in. Driver side was easy and transmission was too easy. The mount on driver side was broke in half, and I felt it when the RPM was over 1000. The vibration was continuous but reduced when RPM was above 2000. When I shift transmission from P to D, the car shook a bit because there was a crack on the transmission mount. There was nothing wrong with the mount on passenger side, but I like to replace them all so I took the bait.

Usually the drivers side mount is the one that gives fits since there is so little space to turn the wrench. I had a helper and we dropped the cross member down some. I used a crowbar while he did the loosening and tightening of the nut.

Thanks landar!

sha4000, I thought so because there was much room on the passenger side but when I raised the engine up, it didn't go anywhere. I spent much time on that side and broke the steering line when lifting the engine up.

I have a ls400 1990 when i release the brake after stoping at a stop i hear a pull but when i slowly release the brake i dont hear it. Could this be a transmission mount or a mount that needs replacing ?.

I have a ls400 1990 when i release the brake after stoping at a stop i hear a pull but when i slowly release the brake i dont hear it. Could this be a transmission mount or a mount that needs replacing ?.

I doubt it has anything to do with mounts.