Xm Radio Availability

Bubbamill

Hi,

Just bought an '08 ES350 and I wanted to get the XM radio option. Dealer told me that installing XM was "on-hold" pending resolution of the merger between XM and Sirius. Using Google, I can't find any reference as to Lexus suspending this option. Perhaps dealer BS?

As a sweetener, the dealer threw in XM radio for free once the on-hold status was resolved. Now I'm not sure if I was fed a line, or if there is some truth to what they said. Anyone else hear of anything like this?

I don't know if this on-hold business is just for XM or if it includes Sirius too. The Lexus web page still shows XM as an option so I really don't know....

Any info or opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

Just bought an '08 ES350 and I wanted to get the XM radio option. Dealer told me that installing XM was "on-hold" pending resolution of the merger between XM and Sirius. Using Google, I can't find any reference as to Lexus suspending this option. Perhaps dealer BS?

As a sweetener, the dealer threw in XM radio for free once the on-hold status was resolved. Now I'm not sure if I was fed a line, or if there is some truth to what they said. Anyone else hear of anything like this?

I don't know if this on-hold business is just for XM or if it includes Sirius too. The Lexus web page still shows XM as an option so I really don't know....

Thanks!

My bet is dealer mumbo jumbo. I bought my ES 350 2 weeks ago and XM radio was definitely a dealer-installed option (no, I didn't get it).

Hi,

Thanks!

I would do more research on the Internet, it is possible that your dealer was looking out for you (hard to believe!). XM and Sirius use different satellites. I remember when the merger was first announced there was talk about new receivers being designed with the ability to receive both XM and Sirius signals. I don't know it that ever happened or not, worth checking.

John

I picked up my ES 1 month ago and had the XM installed no problem. XM is not going away and in fact is now adding some of the Sirius stations to its lineup. Of course I paid like $595 so I would take a delay if it was free.

XM and Sirius as we know them are going to go away eventually.

They have just come out with new tuners that can get Sirius AND XM programming. If you want to recieve Sirius programming you will need one of those new tuners because XM doesn't have enough bandwidth to broadcast both.

I'm sure Lexus is deveoping a tuner that can get both which is what they're saying.

If you don't care about ever getting Sirius broadcasts too by all means get the XM tuner, but eventually to get all the content available from SiriusXM you will need a tuner able to recieve both.

• 2 months later...

My dealer's finance mgr. reports that the XM factory kit is still available, but has indicated that there will be some new products after January 1st.

He specifically mentioned that Lexus may provide a solution to the either/or scenario between Satellite Radio and Ipod factory integration. If they offer a fairly priced option that includes both, I'll be the first on line !!!