Transmission Fluid Leak

hickory1465

01 rx300 awd

tranny fluid splashing on to cat. converter.

I replace the front pinion seal but trans fluid is seeping out of the front driveshaft yoke.

dealer took a look at it and said needs new driveshaft. has anyone experince this problem?. Since i can't buy the front section of this d/s must buy whole shaft. Used is $250.00. I have never seen a frt yoke leak.

Any thoughts

01 rx300 awd

tranny fluid splashing on to cat. converter.

I replace the front pinion seal but trans fluid is seeping out of the front driveshaft yoke.

dealer took a look at it and said needs new driveshaft. has anyone experince this problem?. Since i can't buy the front section of this d/s must buy whole shaft. Used is $250.00. I have never seen a frt yoke leak.

Any thoughts

I would be interested in what exactly is "bad" about the driveshaft? Is the yoke seal surface worn (that is pretty unusual), is the u-joint bad or did he even tell you what exactly it was? I have had that apart but it's been a while so I don't remember just what it was like. Often when a pinion seal goes out it's because the pinion bearing is going and allowing the pinion shaft to move some and it takes the seal out. Most pinion seals are pretty much good for the life of the car as long as the pinion is good and solid.

I agree with Code58, I have had the driveshaft seal leak, especially after lexus replaced my tranny and the spring clip that holds the shaft into the tranny was weak and allowed the shaft to walk outboard. I suggest seeing if you have excessive play from the shaft if you pull on it with the car up on jack stands. The shaft will move very slightly in and out, but not anymore than a 1/16 of an inch. I replaced the drive shaft seal and clip and mine quit leaking. It unfortunately envolves dropping the drive shaft. As for the price, that is rediculous. I replaced my left drive shaft with a EMPI unit for $100. That was the price from NAPA auto parts.

I agree with Code58, I have had the driveshaft seal leak, especially after lexus replaced my tranny and the spring clip that holds the shaft into the tranny was weak and allowed the shaft to walk outboard. I suggest seeing if you have excessive play from the shaft if you pull on it with the car up on jack stands. The shaft will move very slightly in and out, but not anymore than a 1/16 of an inch. I replaced the drive shaft seal and clip and mine quit leaking. It unfortunately envolves dropping the drive shaft. As for the price, that is rediculous. I replaced my left drive shaft with a EMPI unit for $100. That was the price from NAPA auto parts.

Lenore- I was under the impression that he was talking about the drive shaft to the rear, since he has a AWD. Maybe I'm wrong but that might explain the cost for a used one.

• 3 weeks later...

Lenore- I was under the impression that he was talking about the drive shaft to the rear, since he has a AWD. Maybe I'm wrong but that might explain the cost for a used one.

Any updates on this?

I'm having the same issue, shop says yoke is leaking.

Thx