Replacing Struts On A 2004 Rx330

buckeyemike

I was just informed that my 2004 Lexus RX330 needs new front struts, insulators and supports to the tune of $1,300. Has anyone replaced these themselves? I am somewhat mechanically inclined and am wondering if I should bend over or try it myself. The Toyota dealer said the parts cost $700.00. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanx,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I was just informed that my 2004 Lexus RX330 needs new front struts, insulators and supports to the tune of $1,300. Has anyone replaced these themselves? I am somewhat mechanically inclined and am wondering if I should bend over or try it myself. The Toyota dealer said the parts cost $700.00. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanx,

Mike

I am not too sure about that price (sounds high) but replacing the struts on any car isn't a simple or easy job. Check with an independent shop.

It's easy. Do it yourself. the only special tool you will need is a spring pretensioner that you can get as a loaner from any Auto Zone or Pep Boys. I would check Sewell Lexus for parts prices. 2004 RX 330 suspension components

But before you go that far, it's a 2004 and you need front suspension work? That seems a bit overstated? Do you have some really rough road conditions there?

I'm about to tackle this job myself on my '99 RX300. I've already had the struts out a while ago to replace the mounts. It's not that difficult of a job. As Smooth said, you need a spring compressor, but you also need either a nice breaker-bar or impact wrench to get the lower bolts/nuts off the strut. From there it's just time and energy to do the replacement. I'm just doing my rear struts, and I figure I'll have the job done easily in a 1/2 day. Struts were about $120/each, mounts about $40/each, insulator rings about $12/each... doing the job without paying outrageous labor fees, ..."priceless"

Oh yeah, be sure to get an alignment after strut removal/adjustment/replacement.