Installing Aftermarket Deck.....problem!

Ok....I purchased the "correct" wire harness from ebay so that I can install a sony cd player. But the cd player didn't power up. The cd player isn't the problem. It definetly works fine. How does everyone else hook up new decks in these cars? Do they :huh: run jumpers off of the factory wires? Which ones?

I put in a JVC aftermarket deck, .....2000/watt MA Audio comp. amp,.... SPL 10" 2200/W sub in a bandpass box, ....2- 6 1/4" boss rear deck speakers,...2 boss 4" door speaker and new tweeters,.. I've been reading install kits are basicly a waste of cash in most cases and rather than destroy the stock wiring harness, and deal with small gauge wires, I opted to rewire the whole system and glad I did !

Dang....so you basically ran all new wires throughout the car? that's serious. I guess that's another option. I know I can do it no problem....except.....it's more work than I intended. Is there an easier solution though?

I put in a JVC aftermarket deck, .....2000/watt MA Audio comp. amp,.... SPL 10" 2200/W sub in a bandpass box, ....2- 6 1/4" boss rear deck speakers,...2 boss 4" door speaker and new tweeters,.. I've been reading install kits are basicly a waste of cash in most cases and rather than destroy the stock wiring harness, and deal with small gauge wires, I opted to rewire the whole system and glad I did !

Dang....so you basically ran all new wires throughout the car? that's serious. I guess that's another option. I know I can do it no problem....except.....it's more work than I intended. Is there an easier solution though?

I am pretty sure you did this but.....have you check the fuse for the radio? I installed a Kenwood radio in my car with the wire harness I got from e-bay and it worked very well. However, during the install, somehow the fuse for the radio had blown and at first I thought the radio was bad but when I tested the power wires at the harness...they were not working and that's how I found out the fuse was blown. If your fuse is fine and somehow the wires at the harness have "NO" power you can easily run some wires from the ingnition harnesses' constant and accessory wires. It sounds like all you need is power to your new radio and I don't see any need to replace or run new speaker wires. I put my radio in 2 years ago and never had any problems.

Yes ,...I wired my new system from the ground up...serving at least one purpose, conserving the stock wiring harness, so if ever needed I can just plug to stock head unit back in, ....of course you can buy an after market "install kit" and end up wiring in some things anyway. I've seen a lot of posts about one thing or another not working properly after installing a head unit with these "install kits" ...dimmers, power antenna's, and so on ,....to tell ya the truth, the stock wiring looks a little small for a 200 watt head unit,..... I guess I'm one of those folks that believe...."If ya want something done right ya do it yourself"....no big deal

I understand why you'd run all new wires. You then know what everything is and where it goes. No guess work. I feel that. Regarding the fuse possibilities....I'll check that out. I need a fuse compartment diagram. I don't have the manual to figure out which fuse is which. Bummer. I so bad want to hook up this radio.

Yes ,...I wired my new system from the ground up...serving at least one purpose, conserving the stock wiring harness, so if ever needed I can just plug to stock head unit back in, ....of course you can buy an after market "install kit" and end up wiring in some things anyway. I've seen a lot of posts about one thing or another not working properly after installing a head unit with these "install kits" ...dimmers, power antenna's, and so on ,....to tell ya the truth, the stock wiring looks a little small for a 200 watt head unit,..... I guess I'm one of those folks that believe...."If ya want something done right ya do it yourself"....no big deal

You shouldnt need a manual for the fuse box. There is a sticker on the inside cover that tells you what is what. I usually just get a flashlight out and shine them through all the fuses to see if anything else is blown while I am in there.

Good luck on your setup. Post pics when you are done because I am thinking about doing this as well. Also, where did you get your install kit? I would like to see how it looks.

Ok....it was the fuse in the hood. That is....the power line now works. But the ground wire and remaining speaker wires did nothing. The wire harness is crap. So unless I figure out the proper speaker wires at the factory plug, I am forced to run new wires from the spekers themselves. Can anyone tell me which wires are the speaker wires in detail? Please?

You shouldnt need a manual for the fuse box. There is a sticker on the inside cover that tells you what is what. I usually just get a flashlight out and shine them through all the fuses to see if anything else is blown while I am in there.

Good luck on your setup. Post pics when you are done because I am thinking about doing this as well. Also, where did you get your install kit? I would like to see how it looks.

Ok...I solved it!!! I ended up viewing the wiring schematic of the entire stereo system. What I did was find the cable in the truck (output plug from the factory amp) that consisted of the speaker wires to all speakers minus the subwoofer. The subwoofer wires are located in a different plug, also an output plug in trunk. I traced a wire harness that will be useless with factory amp removed. I soldered the speaker wires in a color code order that I came up with. This allowed me to use existing wires to run speaker wires to front, rather than running all new wires. Therefore, once completed, I have full access to all speakers from the stereo compartment and am now able to hook up a aftermarket radio. I also used this method to run ACC, Ground, Remote and Power wires. It worked perfect. Yeah baby!!!

Ok....it was the fuse in the hood. That is....the power line now works. But the ground wire and remaining speaker wires did nothing. The wire harness is crap. So unless I figure out the proper speaker wires at the factory plug, I am forced to run new wires from the spekers themselves. Can anyone tell me which wires are the speaker wires in detail? Please?

Your head unit MIGHT be the problem.

I was in the process of hard wiring my old Sony into my car. It wouldn't work. I bought the remote, a new tail, and it still wouldnt work.

One day it magically started working. But I have since upgraded to a Pioneer touch screen monitor.

Actually.....with ll the rewiring that I did....it worked perfect. I installed the cd player and a dvd player underneath. I used a cd slot holder to fill the 1 inch gap in between the players. It looks sweet. I also painted the center console silver snce the players are silver. Very original.

Your head unit MIGHT be the problem.

I was in the process of hard wiring my old Sony into my car. It wouldn't work. I bought the remote, a new tail, and it still wouldnt work.

One day it magically started working. But I have since upgraded to a Pioneer touch screen monitor.