Worth It Or Not

OneHotLexus

My car was leaking oil, so a mechanic friend of mine looked at it and said that I needed a new rear main oil seal. Upon hearing this I freaked out because I knew that in order to get to this seal, the tranny would have to come out = Lexus dealer would charge me an arm and a leg to do this. But luckily I found someone who will do it for a lot cheaper.

Anyway, I was thinking that since they were going to pull my transmition anyway- I might go ahead and put the SC300 5pd tranny or the SupraTT 6spd. tranny in. The mechanic told me that it would'nt be worth it, a clutch kit alone would cost around $1000. So here's my questions:

(1) Would it be worth it to switch trannys, or is it going to be more expensive and entail more work than having a manual is worth?

(2) Would it be more difficult to put the SupraTT tranny in vs. the SC300 tranny?- Which would be better?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

is it worth it to you? the clutch kit is a small part of it. you need clutch pedal and master cylinder and all of that. you need a manual trans computer (another 1000 if you buy from the dealer) if you go 5 speed you can go and buy the factory drive shaft (it might be the same) or if its 6speed you need a custom one. if i were going this far i would do a swap with the engine and manual trans with it.

I've found some W58 5spd. trannys on ebay (i'm going to check out other places also) for $2000. A clutch kit for $109 (which seems low). How much is everything esle going to cost? Labor charges are not a problem- I have soemone who would do it for me. Any estimates on the cost?

Labor is anywhere from 60$ to 90$ an hour typically. You will need the clutch pedal - I'd recommend the smaller brake pedal that typically comes with most manual cars. I had a manual tranny conversion on a different car and the automatic brake pedal was left on - it was hard to avoid hitting the brake pedal when clutching - but that could be handy too for some applications. You will need the cylinder, the tranny cooler blocked off, the custom housing adapter (I posted a thread on where to locate that a couple weeks ago) and other adapting equipment. I would geustimate another 1000$ to 2000$ for those parts depending on where and how you get them. You will also need to get a signal to fool the ecu. I have heard of people using a sensor to read off of the second gear switch that fools the computer into thinking it is auto. But I have no idea how that works. Figure another 1,000$ for that set-up and finding someone skilled enough to do it. Could be done for maybe 4g's if labor is free and maybe less (maybe more) for a used w58 or 154 (you might want to try the 154 - I've heard it is a little stronger.)

so BASICALLY, you need to know someone, that knows someone, that knows someone, that knows someone to pull this off :D

if you suscribe to turbo magazine, they're doing a sc300 project and putting a 2jzgte/6spd getrag tranny for way less than the prize of the Supra turbo. i think they found their getrag for 1800(including the trade in price of a 5spd manual transmission)

I might try to get a copy of that issue. These magazines have sick connections though, all through advertising. One would be hard pressed I think to duplicate that - but wait till you guys see what I've got up my sleeve. I don't want to spoil anything by spilling the beans too soon, but oh man......

the reason why the guy said 1000 for clutch is because you also need the fly wheel and other things to go with it. you said $109 thats just the clutch. you have to remember that there are so many little things that have to be considered and it will come as a surprise. so keep you eyes open ;)