Es330 Headlight Bulbs

lavpen2

My right low-beam burned out and I went to the dealer to have it replace. I was quoted a price of $419.00 . Love Lexus, but not that much! I looked at the bulb and it appeared easy to remove. I first unscrewed the circular plastic disc and then unscrewed the bulb connector. The bulb itself appears to be held in place by a thin wire with a small screw. This is where I need some help.

My right low-beam burned out and I went to the dealer to have it replace. I was quoted a price of $419.00 . Love Lexus, but not that much! I looked at the bulb and it appeared easy to remove. I first unscrewed the circular plastic disc and then unscrewed the bulb connector. The bulb itself appears to be held in place by a thin wire with a small screw. This is where I need some help.

I'd find the guy that gave you that quote and slap him on the face. There's a tutorial here somewhere (do a search) - its really easy - your actually over thinking things - the whole bulb assembly twists out and you buy a new one. It shouldn't cost you more than $6 and five minutes of time.

I'd find the guy that gave you that quote and slap him on the face. There's a tutorial here somewhere (do a search) - its really easy - your actually over thinking things - the whole bulb assembly twists out and you buy a new one. It shouldn't cost you more than $6 and five minutes of time.

The $419 price tag is because you most likely have HID bulbs, which will run you about $300 each from the dealer and $100 for their hour allotment to put it in.

You can get the HID bulb D2R most likely online for about $100 and it will take about 20 minutes to get it in if you unfamiliar with it. At least it is the right hand side so you don't have to disconnect and move the battery. The whole bulb assembly does not just twist out. There is a rubber boot that comes off, then the heavy duty silver end cap--careful not to crimp the wires. Then the spring loaded clip, then the bulb is free to come out. Repeat the process but take note as to the orientation fo the bulb coming out. If memory serves correctly, the ignitor is facing down.

steviej

steviej

Yep, like Steviej said the headlamps are HID. You can't just go out to PepBoys and buy one for $6.

To make matters worse, I'd reccomend you replace both headlamps. HID lamps get more purple as they age. Phillips sells a HID bulb specifically designed for replacing bulbs without replacing the other bulb thats supposed to be the color of a seasoned HID bulb so they'll match...

But that explains the price from Lexus...

What year is your ES330?

If it is a 2004, the bulb size is D2R, for the Reflector unit.

If it is a 2005, the bulb size is D2S, for the projector unit.

If yours is an 04, i have a used (as SW stated above, so the color will match) Lexus OEM Phlips D2R bulb. It's been laying around for a while, in fact i have two of them. It came on my 03 Lexus RX300 but i converted to 6000k last year. Therefore the bulb is approx the same age as your 04 would be. It's in perfect condition.

If you're interested, let me know and i can sell one to you! :)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am new to this forum, since I got an '04 ES330 about 5 months ago and am loving it...

However, the right HID bulb seems to be dying on me (shuts off after some time while driving).

Anyways, I am having the same problem removing the bulb from the housing. I ordered some Philips OEM 4000k D2Rs and want to put them in, but I can't for the life of me figure it out (as the space is cramped and my hands cannot fit easily in that space).

I was able to remove the outer plug coming from the wiring harness as well as the tan-ish bulb cover.

Now what i see is the backing of the actual bulb, but it has a silver backing that indicates which way to rotate to lock in place and there's what looks like a clip (kinda like a paper clip bent into a square).

I tried turning the backing in the opposite direction of the direction indicated on it to lock it in place, but it will not move and I am afraid of forcing it (do not want to break it).

I'm assuming the clip has to be pushed in some direction to free the backing so it can rotate in the unlock position.

Is there anyone that can confirm/deny these steps, or is there an easier way to do all of this? I am talking about the right side headlight, btw.

I appreciate any assistance or insight into what I can do to avoid those pesky dealership prices...

Thanks!