Odor Rx 350

odor and toxic problem in 2007 rx 350 told it was cosmoline, cannot drive car makes us sick , lexus has done nothing to resolve the problem except tried to take off with brake cleaning fluid. anyone get a resolve?

dcj

Did you buy a brand new 2007?

Almost all new cars which have a cosmoline coating. It burns off fairly quickly.

thank you, lexus tried to remove with brake cleaner, changed the filter twice and drove 9,000 miles and wont go away

what next?

dcj

Almost all new cars which have a cosmoline coating. It burns off fairly quickly.

thank you, lexus tried to remove with brake cleaner, changed the filter twice and drove 9,000 miles and wont go away

what next?

dcj

yes we bought it new

have another lexus and never had this happen

dcj

odor and toxic problem in 2007 rx 350 told it was cosmoline, cannot drive car makes us sick , lexus has done nothing to resolve the problem except tried to take off with brake cleaning fluid. anyone get a resolve?

dcj

I had an odor problem with a Mercedes. Got it resolved via lemon-law. Check your state for lemon law resolution if the problem cannot be fixed.

what next?

dcj

9,000 miles is not normal. Typically cosmoline will burn off in a couple hundred miles, certainly less than 1,000.

Cosmoline is commonly used to coat metal surfaces on cars while they make the trip across the ocean during shipping.

info i had was that this car was made in canada. maybe parts were made in japan. sprayed with the cosmoline and shipped.

That sounds very bizzare. The cosmoline smell isn't really a chemical smell, its more a plastic burning type smell...

I think you need to really lean on Lexus and the dealer here. This is the sort of thing where I would want another vehicle...