Maintenance On 200 Ls430

mcodude

I just bought the 2005 LS 430 five months ago. I have added 3000 miles on it. I changed oild once. The 'Maintenance reqd' light came on it now.

Does the LS430 require any extensive maintenance after 35,000 miles? If so, is it a must that it has to be performed at Lexus Dealership? Can anyone tell me the cost for following:

1) Basic oil change and basic maintenance charges at Lexus Dealership.

2) Extensive maintenance charges (like 35K, 60K etc.,) at Lexus Dealership.

Thanks

The required maintenance schedule is documented in the maintenance manual that should have come with your car. The manual has places for the dealer or non-dealer repair shop to document that maintenance has been performed. I don't see much reason to exceed what is called for in the maintenance manual although I have to say that I change the engine oil, transmission and differential fluid more often than required -- probably a waste of money but I'm a "car nut".

There is nothing to prevent you from changing the engine oil yourself or taking it to a non-dealer shop to have it done. You do not have to use the dealer to keep the warranty in effect. Simply document the maintenance you do yourself or have someone else do for you. Lexus dealer waiting rooms are usually wonderful but they are not free -- the cost is included in what the dealer charges.

As I've said before on this forum, I've found that one of the keys to preventing car damage is to, as much as possible, keep cars out of the hands of repair shops. I've probably had more damage (scratches, dents, interior damage, etc.) done at dealerships than I have at independent repair shops but I choose indie shops very carefully.

As I see it, the main reason to take an in-warranty car to a dealership is to ensure that all TSIB (technical service information bulletin) gets done before the basic warranty expires. I make it a point to take cars back to the dealership at least once just before the basic warranty expires and go over the full list of outstanding TSIBs with a service writer.

Since you have recently purchased your LS430, I'd suggest you take it to the dealer now and verify that all the TSIB work has been done since, depending on manufacture date, there may be a safety related recall on your car.

Thanks. The 5000 mile checkup is $175. Thebasic oil change is $45. Do you think the basic oil change would be able to fix the 'Maintenance Reqd' light turned off?

The required maintenance schedule is documented in the maintenance manual that should have come with your car. The manual has places for the dealer or non-dealer repair shop to document that maintenance has been performed. I don't see much reason to exceed what is called for in the maintenance manual although I have to say that I change the engine oil, transmission and differential fluid more often than required -- probably a waste of money but I'm a "car nut".

There is nothing to prevent you from changing the engine oil yourself or taking it to a non-dealer shop to have it done. You do not have to use the dealer to keep the warranty in effect. Simply document the maintenance you do yourself or have someone else do for you. Lexus dealer waiting rooms are usually wonderful but they are not free -- the cost is included in what the dealer charges.

As I've said before on this forum, I've found that one of the keys to preventing car damage is to, as much as possible, keep cars out of the hands of repair shops. I've probably had more damage (scratches, dents, interior damage, etc.) done at dealerships than I have at independent repair shops but I choose indie shops very carefully.

As I see it, the main reason to take an in-warranty car to a dealership is to ensure that all TSIB (technical service information bulletin) gets done before the basic warranty expires. I make it a point to take cars back to the dealership at least once just before the basic warranty expires and go over the full list of outstanding TSIBs with a service writer.

Since you have recently purchased your LS430, I'd suggest you take it to the dealer now and verify that all the TSIB work has been done since, depending on manufacture date, there may be a safety related recall on your car.

The light is just a dummy light, it comes on every 5,000 miles. The dealer will reset it when you have the oil changed.

The oil needs to be changed and the tires need to be rotated to satisfy the maintenance requirements.

What's the frequency if you use Mobil 1 synthetic? If I live in Seattle, WA then what grade is recommended?

The light is just a dummy light, it comes on every 5,000 miles. The dealer will reset it when you have the oil changed.

The oil needs to be changed and the tires need to be rotated to satisfy the maintenance requirements.

What's the frequency if you use Mobil 1 synthetic? If I live in Seattle, WA then what grade is recommended?

I assume you mean "weight" instead of "grade". The recommended oil weight is shown in the manuals that should have come with your vehicle and often is shown on the oil fill cap on the valve cover.

The oil change interval when using synthetic oil is the same as when using regular motor oil -- don't exceed the recommended interval if your car is under warranty.

Some people use longer change intervals when using synthetic motor oil in cars that are not under warranty. You can find web sites that discuss this by googling something like "Mobil 1 change intervals".

One more thing ... it makes it easier for others to answer your questions if you include the year and model of your car in either or both your profile and signature. (Darn, I love Seattle! Been there many times; even climbed Rainier twice.)

1. Turn ignition switch on ( do not start car)

2. Press "Trip" button to display odometer display only (press it 2 or 3 times to get correct display)

3. Turn off engine

4. Press "Reset" button

5. Turn ignition switch on as in "1" above while holding down "Reset" button till "Maintenance Required" display disappears.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=31133